HeartBoard

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and this is my first post...I've also got my profile almost done.

I am a 56 year old male with a number of ailments such as High Blood Pressure, Congestive Heart Failure, Gout, Psoriasis, Edema and a few others. I am also overweight at 272 lbs. I have had health issues in some form for as long as I can remember starting with severe allergies in my early teens. I was raised on a farm and was exposed to a lot of chemicals. Not sure if that had anything to do with my health but food for thought.

I am about to start a water fast next week to try and improve some of the conditions I have. A lot of people think this course of action is crazy and some say dangerous but I have last years experience to push me on. The Water Fast I did last year went for 21 days and during that time my BP normalized and I was able to walk a few miles and even jog a bit. I felt better than I have for many years and I guess it was something I had to do to see for myself if what I had been studying was factual or fiction and to learn. So last year was sort of a trial run.

This time I am better educated about what to expect and I am actually very excited to get on with it. I expect a great improvement in all my ailments. To that end I would like to post as much data as I can including BP, weight and BFI on a regular basis.

I would also like to know if anyone else has done a fast and what they experienced, I also welcome all comments and suggestions

Best Regards

Gord

Hi Gord, and welcome!

I've never heard of a water fast, and am curious. Do you gradually lower your food intake so that your body isn't suddenly hit with just water? Do you take vitamins or electrolytes in order to keep your body chemistry balanced?

I'm sure you've heard all the arguments against trying such a drastic diet so I won't go into them.

Have you run this past your doctor? I would think that depriving your body of at least electrolytes would be very hard on your heart. You may have been just lucky last time, all this does sound frightening.

Please let us know how things are going. Also, if you check in with your doctor let us know what he advises?

I wish you all the best and will be looking forward to your posts.

Denise

Hi Denise,

Thanks for your comments.

I am only eating raw fruits and vegetables till I start on Monday. Once I start, no vitamins or minerals, just water that has a lot of minerals in it. I would not do this with any water that was devoid of minerals as I am aware of the electrolyte issue. I saw my doctor Tues. and he sent me to get my blood work, urine and ekg done yesterday. I will be posting starting stats Monday and hope to post every other day. Because of my condition I have my own BP monitor and usually i take my BP every few days. During the fast I will be checking it every day.

Regards

Gord

Hi Gord,

What you are going to do is interesting so do keep us posted as several of us check in at least daily. Since you did a trial last year you should be able to compare how you are doing this time. My wife does liver and colon cleanse a couple times a year using a method from Hulga Clark which is all natural ingredients. Also since Adele has several allergies she get a lot of items from Raintree Nutritions. These are all plant material from the rain forest that have been used by the natives for centuries. I've used some of these myself. I'll admit it takes willpower to swallow some of these teas but after a while it's second nature.

I was curious about this water diet and did a little research. I found this on Wikipedia and it is really interesting.

"It has been shown in many empirical, scientific studies that fasting can improve health and help to eliminate a variety of diseases. Although some fasting methods use juice or various amounts of food, the health of such methods is questionable, according to Dr. Joel Fuhrman. A true fast, he contends, consists of an intake solely of water, and can last (healthily) for extended periods of time when undertaken with the correct knowledge. Any fasts of such nature should be preceded and followed by a healthy diet, and should also be supervised by a knowledgeable physician to make sure that deficiencies of any nutrients do not take place and detract from the healthful benefits of such a fast

There are also recent studies on mice that show that fasting every other day while eating double the normal amount of food on non-fasting days can lead to improved insulin and blood sugar control, neuronal resistance to injury, and general health indicators. Punctuated fasting diets produced superior improvements compared with mice on 40% calorie restricted diets. Alternate-day calorie restriction may prolong lifespan and attenuate diseases associated with inflammation, oxidative stress and aging.Fasting has been shown to be an effective treatment for hypertension.

Many fasting protocols are used by integrative medicine practitioners as part of alleged detoxification or cleansing diets.

Fasting can be dangerous when the body is not able to perform gluconeogenesis. If the body is not in ketosis, then the brain and vital organs (which can burn either glucose or ketones) need 800 calories a day to have ample glucose. If less than 800 calories a day are consumed, the brain and vital organs are deprived of necessary glucose, causing damage and in some cases, death. Ideally these diets should be supervised by health care practitioners who are experienced with therapeutic fasts."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasting

It has been a hectic day today as most Mondays are. Perhaps I should have started tomorrow. My last meal was 2 apples for dinner last night. Been drinking a lot of water today and have been busy enough so that my mind is not on eating. Anyway, did my video, took my starting pics. ( You really don't know what you look like until you see pics of yourself...I didn't like what I saw!!)

I took my starting stats which were not good as my BP is a bit higher than it usually is but it should come down in a few days.

Beginning stats August 29, 2011

BMI (Body Mass Index)- 38.9

BIA (Bioelectrical impedance analysis) – 55.8

Weight – 271.2

Waist – 49”

BP (Blood Pressure)- 182 / 103

Heart beat- 67

Will try to post every two days.

Regards

Gord

Day 3 of my fast.

I got off to a good start and have felt really good so far.

First I want to thank all those that are sending me good wishes, suggestions, and comments. I really appreciate it.

I haven’t noticed any lose of energy yet but I expect to get more tired through the day as time goes on. Last night I slept longer than I have for quite some time. I usually only sleep about 4 hrs a night but last night it was around 6 so I felt much better when I got up. It would be great to get that up to 7 hrs ! Having said that, I do expect to go through nights when I can’t sleep.

Since the start of my fast Sunday night I have lost 4.4 lbs to 266.8 lbs and my BP is now 134 / 78 down from my starting BP of 182 / 103. I do not put any weight into this reading. I took my BP yesterday and it was 162 / 98. We will see if it stays down over the next couple of weeks but in any event I did a video and posted it on my blog

I don’t have much hunger now but it was bad yesterday especially around the time everyone else was eating. My hunger should be gone by tomorrow. No headaches or odd pains yet.

Beginning stats August 29, 2011 Aug. 31, 2011 stats

BMI (Body Mass Index)- 38.9 38.3

BIA (Bioelectrical impedance analysis) – 55.8 54.7

Weight – 271.2 266.8

Waist – 49” 49”

BP (Blood Pressure)- 182 / 103 134 /78

Heart beat- 67 68

Gord

It sounds like things are going good! It must take a LOT of willpower to stop eating, I don't know if I could manage it. I hope the hunger goes away quickly for you, that should help. It's good to see that you are carefully monitoring everything.

I'm praying for you...that no matter if you can keep on this fast or not, you gain good health and are able to function and feel better.

All my best,

Denise

It's Thursday evening and we just got invited up to a friends cottage. Heading out early in morn so I won't be posting till I get back Sunday so I should have some good stats by then.

Going to be a tough couple of days watching others drink and eat.

Gord

It's Thursday evening and we just got invited up to a friends cottage. Heading out early in morn so I won't be posting till I get back Sunday so I should have some good stats by then.

Going to be a tough couple of days watching others drink and eat.

Gord

Gord, I don't think you understand what a difficult journey you have began, and suggest you reconsider.

I was obese, diabetic, had heart issues as well as serious GERD issues. You have no idea how difficult it is to fast until you go through the process. I had to fast after a bowel obstruction surgery, then later I went through a fast of sorts after a Nissen Fundoplication procedure that was a result of the intense vomiting from the bowel obstruction, I won't go into detail. My dietary interuptions are considered a reason why I had to have a pacemaker inserted, and eventually a bypass surgery.

I'd consider bariatric surgery before going down the path you have chosen. You are going to experience very embarrassing conditions that will be difficult on your loved ones as well as extreme discomfort. Feel free to message me if you wish. Remember, you are taking your loved ones down the same path you have chosen, and it's going to be a very difficult path.