HeartBoard
ireneo

Denise in hospital

It's almost 9 am here in the NW and I just got off the phone with Denise. She's been in the hospital since Tuesday. She had been wearing a heart monitor, they got the readings and sent her to ER.

I hope I can keep this all straight: She's having some a-fib but the Amiodarone she's been taking hasn't helped. Her heart rate seems to jump around from 60 to 106 and down to 22. She has fairly long pauses at times.

Normally you would think "She needs a pacemaker" and you're right. But due to her tendency to develop clots, they can't run the leads from the pacer, through the vessels and to the heart. Tiny clots could form on the leads and then dislodge and cause major problems. So the doctor is considering opening her chest and burying the leads directly into the heart.

Problem with that is she has adhesions and scar tissue from her previous 2 open heart surgeries. That will make it difficult. The cardio would also like to do the Maze procedure while in there. But for now everything is on hold until the doctor meets with the hematologist, surgeons and cardios. And her anti-coagulant medication is unique and the hospital didn't have it on hand. So she had to bring it from home.

Right now she's being monitored 24/7 and if her heart drops way low, they'll have to come in and do something scary to bring it back up. They promised they would knock her out first.

There's no idea of timing on this yet. But I'm hoping they'll pull it together and fix this. So please pray like crazy. I don't want anything happening to this sweet woman. :wub:

irene

That was a perfect report Ireneo, good job :common076[1]: . I hopefully can find out more this afternoon after everyone meets and come's up with a game plan. Thanks again Ireno.

Thanks Irene. I've been out of the loop the past week but can keep up again now. Our thoughts and prayers are with Denise and Bob.

She is definitely in my prayers! Thanks for keeping us informed. She is such a sweet person.

I checked in this morning and Denise is having a pacemaker installed as of this moment. I will try to give another update as soon as I hear when she is back in room. She needs all the thoughts and prayers she can get that this works as there are other variables involved here.

Thank you so much. I have the hospital phone number on my caller ID but couldn't think of a good time to call. I'm sure she would love the company but I hate to disrupt things. Thanks for the update. Any idea if they're going ahead with the Maze procedure too or just putting in the pacemaker? The Maze is such a messy thing to do and I'd rather they didn't put her at risk any more than necessary.

I'll be waiting for more news.

irene

After the doctors all consulted with each other they come up with the game plan of doing the pacemaker and we are in a wait and see how she does. I talked to her again (after she got back from procedure's) and her spirit is up and hopeful. Although I know it's very scary for everyone when your heart-rate has drop as low as her's as a few times. She is a trooper and hanging tough though. She thanks you all for the thought's and prayer's and with some luck she might be able to check in with us in a couple of days. I want to save the chain of events and the rest of the story for her to tell, if she is up to it.

A huge, happy thank you for the update. I'll sleep well tonight knowing she's safely back in her bed. Still stuck in the hospital but all in one piece. :horray:

My thoughts and prayers are with Denise and her family. My experience with a pacemaker for Brady/Tachy has been extremely positive and I trust she will feel so much better.

My thoughts and best wishes are with Denise and her family.

kalip

waiting to hear how things are going

i am home. they discharged ne last night. hurts like heck, all swollen down arm and across chest because of the extra bleeding.

sorry for the typing but left arm is in sling for a week....and every moovement everywhere hurts.

thank you irene, how on earth did you understand all that info

i thank god for my great docs but also for all of you. thank you for thoughts and prayers and being such good friends. i am blessed

denise

I'm celebrating today. I know you're not ready for a party but I'm so happy you're home now even if you are in technicolor. ^_^ Now is the time for you to rest up. Don't worry about clean toilets and dust bunnies. They'll wait for you. Not only is your arm in a sling but your body has been through heck the past few weeks (at least). Pamper yourself. Big hugs to you. :grouphug2:

Glad to hear you are home Denise. I'm pullin' for ya even if you don't hear from me. I've been busy with Mom and will be for some time yet. No computers at her house so I have to quick catch up when I get home.

:grouphug2: So glad to hear you are home. Take care of yourself! Rest and relax. Your body has been through alot. Love you!