HeartBoard
Sign in to follow this  
gschmitt

Loss of my brother

My brother John Hahn died last night in the recovery room of a local hospital after surgery to remove his spleen. He had a massive heart attack not long after he got into the recovery room.

He went into the hospital and was found to have autoimmune hemolytic anemia and as usual the reason for this was unknown. The doctors decided after conferring with Vanderbuilt University Hospital and Indiana University Med Center to remove his spleen. One of the problems was that doctors the local hospital and both other hospitals had never seen anything like his case before. The doc said that when they went in they found that his spleen would have ruptured within the next 12 hours. Other than the finding the surgery was uneventful.

Although the call this morning was a shock I really was not surprised about his death. He had a heart attack the year before I had mine and he elected for a stent only when advised for a bypass. He then told the doctors good bye and went on with his life as before. He lived as he wanted to without caution to his health. We found out today that he was also diabetic and refused treatment and refused to believe this. I found out today that his right index finger had blood clots and would have been amputated back into his hand and also his right foot. He never did anything to change his lifestyle but lived it to the fullest being a member of several local organizations and clubs.

Gilbert, you and your family are in my prayers and have my deepest sympathies.

Vicki T.

Gilbert,

I am so very sorry for your loss. You and your family have my prayers.

Denise

Please accept my condolences

kalip

I add my thoughts and prayers. You expressed his journey beautifully, and I'm hearing Frank Sinatra's song, "I Did It My Way". I do believe that is how we we should pass over to the other side of life. It's difficult to lose a sibling. Godbless.

Gilbert - I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your brother. So many things going on with his health. Still, it's a shock to hear such news. I'm glad he lived his life to the fullest and never gave up having some fun.

I'm so sorry about your brother, Gilbert, and sorry that I just now saw this, but my deepest sympathy to you and your family for his loss! God Bless, Pat