HeartBoard
gschmitt

Adventures of the "Ambulance Man"

I spent about half my EMT years and all of my paramedic years working for a county ambulance service in a rural south western Indiana county. Although I had worked in all sections of the county the district I liked most and spent most of my time, was the north district. That being mostly rural and coal mines we covered the entire north half of the county and provided advance life support to two counties north of us when needed. We once made a trip to a coal mine in the county north of us and after the trip north and into the coal mine that lasted 25 minutes we could see, about a mile away, the water tower a block from our station when we reached the scene.

The Rookie,

One day my partner and I, both paramedics, rolled code 3 on a heart attack call. With us that day was a new EMT that we were orientating to the job. The location was about 8 miles away and we were closer than any first responders and since we had an extra person onboard the first responders were not called out. Enroute we told the rookie what equipment he was to grab and carry in as he would be the first out of the truck and probably into the house, he was to take the O2 and the airway box.

We pulled up to the house and started unloading for a quick entry. There was a kid about 15 or so sitting on the front steps and as we passed him he stated, "he's gone". The rookie stopped there and then said to the kid, "well we need to see him anyway so did he say when he would be back". (wrong move Ricky-new-guy)

Oops, wrong thing said for sure! Bet Ricky-new-guy felt awful about that question! And the poor 15 year old probably didn't know what to think!

Thanks for sharing Gilbert. Its a great idea for you to tell us about some of your EMT experiences. I'm sure you have so many wonderful life saving ones and sadly, some heart breaking ones too. Hugs, Pat

reminds me of my days in the NAMIC at Jax NAS years ago I was in a room dealing with a young officer who didnot want to go out on a 6 month cruise his wife just had the baby as I was finish takeing his vitals one of the NAMISTS came in with a urinal and began drinking out of it it was all yellow etc I laughed turned red and almost wet my pants. They had let beer go fglat and then came in and did it. What I didnot know then it was welcom to NAMIC Miss Heidi. This was when my husband and I were dateing then they told him and he kids me about it to this day. Oh the tales about NAMIC and Er at JAX NAS. I could tell.

GIlbert going down to yhe morgue you know when dead bodies still have air in them sometimes hit on the table and they make a sound like they are breathing or rise up a little bit / :o I had that done to me and it scared me.

What PArt of Ind. My folks live in Kirklin North of Indianapolis and my grandma in Frankfort ion Wesley Manner Assisted living.

small world isnt it.

Heidi

Great title, Gilbert. Adventures of the Ambulance Man :D

Guess poor Rickey-new-guy heard that story a few times afterwards. Is his name now Ricky-dumb-guy? Sounds like one of those, "he is soooo dumb jokes." :lol:

thanks Gilbert

MrsR :heart:

Will share this with my neice who does squad duty. She will enjoy.... as will her dad who drives for them....

Thanks Gilbert......

That was a cute story Gilbert. Sounds like something I would do. Got a funny job story for you all. I'm a hairdresser and one day this lady brought her child in. The child was probably about 13. The bad part was I could not tell whether the child was a boy or a girl. The voice was feminine the hair was fairly long and there was no evident breasts but the kid was kind of heavy. Anyway the child sat down in my chair and I asked them how would you like your hair cut? Do you have something in mind? The kid says whatever you think will look good. Well I didn't know whether the kid was a boy or girl so I kept combing and finally I got the kid talking to me and said "My names Michelle, what's your name?" I was hoping and praying it wasn't Terry or Pat or one of those other name that would fit a boy or girl. The name was Brian thank the Lord!

That is so funny Michelle!! Gilbert,you are on a roll now. ;) Dont Stop!!

I went on a call to a house. Lady was not breathing. Anyway, I was still performing CPRwhen ambulance arrived. Anyway,a policeman was called to the scene because the ladys son was very upset(didnt really know what he was going to do). The policeman looked inside ,saw what was going on,and turned really pale!I thought he was going to pass out. ????? I asked a medic nd he said he was a new one. MY!MY! He was going to be seeing a lot worse than that!! I wonder what he is doing now. I did feel for him!!

tt that is funny. You wonder if the poor guy ever adjusted.

another job story:

When my daughter was in high school she worked at a Long John Silvers. She was working the drive thru window and a lady had come thru the drive thru got her order then left. Pretty soon she came back around and pulled up to the window and said this is not what I ordered and threw a piece of fish thru through the drive thru window at my daughter. She just laughed about it later, but it's funny to hear her tell it.

;);):lol::lol: Michelle,That is soooooooo funny!! I bet your daughter didnt think so though at the time!!! Instead of a fish fry,that was a fish fro. :lol::lol::lol::P:P

Michelle

It must have been a flying fish on the menu. ;)

MrsR

Yes Shaka

It was reincarnated after leaving the restaurant.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

MrsR :heart:

Sorry Gilbert....we have taken this over but look forward to more ambulance stories.....as they are great....

When I was a child of 17 I was a little naive and sheltered but working through my adolescence when I started my first job at the Rustler Steak House. On one of my first days the manager got me alone and told me I could go around and check on and refill the condiments. Well I wasn't going to say a word (as I did not want to look like I was not with it) but man I did not know this place had condoms......wow learning about the real world...that they had these things in family steak houses???? I had not seen them in the bathroom.... were they kept in special hiding places? Hmmmm. A bit later the manager came back and mentioned mustard, ketchup, salt, pepper, sugar and then I had an ahha moment and big relief.....