HeartBoard
daisy1

Mobitz Type 1 and Pregnancy

I am a 30 year old woman recently diagnosed with Mobitz Type 1 (Wenckebach) heart block. My cardiologist has offered to pace me for this condition, and I am trying to find out what to do. One of my main worries is that my husband and I would like to start a family, and I don't know if this condition might get worse during pregnancy.

Is anyone out there unpaced with this condition, and has had a baby? I can't find anyone, so if anyone has an experience, please post.

Welcome to the board. I've heard of Mobitz 1 but I don't have it. Sorry.

Do you have any idea what may have caused it (MI, rheumatic fever, medications)? Are you symptomatic (low BP, light headed)? From what I'm reading, sometimes (depending on the cause) it resolves on its own. Other times they may use temporary pacing till it resolves. And if there are no symptoms or if they're tolerable, they may do nothing at all to intervene.

As for pregnancy, some arrhythmias do act up during pregnancy due to hormonal changes. But for most women that means they get more PVC's or tachy. I don't know if hormones will affect a block. Surely your doctor might know.

I've had arrhythmias all my life (ectopics and atrial tachys) but went on to have 3 children. Still, different from your situation. This is something you'll need to take up with your cardio and gyne.

Hope you get some real answers, not just my meanderings.

Irene

daisy1,

Welcome to the board.

I'd never heard of Mobitz, but did some research and at least Type 1 is said to be pretty benign. I also found articles that mention pacemakers and successful pregnancies. Like Irene said, your best source of information would be your cardiologist. S/he knows your case and should have some definite answers for you.

I have first degree AV block, among my many other rhythm disturbances. I don't know how that compares to Mobitz Type 1.

Do you have symptoms with Mobitz? You said your cardio "offered" to put in a pacemaker, does that mean you don't have to have one unless your symptoms are bothersome?

Let us know what you find out, I'm interested in what your cardio or gyn has to say.

Denise

daisy1,

Welcome to the board.

I'd never heard of Mobitz, but did some research and at least Type 1 is said to be pretty benign. I also found articles that mention pacemakers and successful pregnancies. Like Irene said, your best source of information would be your cardiologist. S/he knows your case and should have some definite answers for you.

I have first degree AV block, among my many other rhythm disturbances. I don't know how that compares to Mobitz Type 1.

Do you have symptoms with Mobitz? You said your cardio "offered" to put in a pacemaker, does that mean you don't have to have one unless your symptoms are bothersome?

Let us know what you find out, I'm interested in what your cardio or gyn has to say.

Denise

Thanks so much for your welcome and responses.

I do have symptoms with the Mobitz 1 (sometimes called Wenckebach, or just second degree type 1 heart block): dizziness, tiredness, and palpitations. My cardiologist has offered to pace me for these symptoms. You're right that the condition is usually considered benign, but some recent research has called this into question, so people are now more likely to be paced for the condition than, say, 10 years ago, especially as they get older.

My cardiologist says that if my symptoms get worse during pregnancy (for example, progressing into fainting), I can't have a pacemaker fitted because of the radiation risk. Hence my dilemma. He can't actually tell me whether the symptoms will get worse in pregnancy. And I don't have a gyn because I am based in the UK, and we don't have that sort of medical access here!

So I'm just hoping I can find someone with some personal experience. I'm trying pregnancy discussion boards, too, so hopefully there is someone else out there...

daisy1,

I sent you a message through this site. To find it (this place can get confusing at times) simply click on My Controls which is in the second line at the top of the page, right below the site photo (with all the hearts). It will be in your "inbox".

I hope the info helps.

Denise