HeartBoard
Sign in to follow this  
RickyB

Blood Pressure

If I would stay at my 6 month average I would be ok but it fluctuates up and down.gonna put down my last 20 readings.average since I got this here infernal machine is 128/76.

128/80 bedtime, 124/75 around 10PM 100/48 about 7PM, 85/40 when i got home from work at 5PM, 141/80 lunch, 169/93 morning. 102/62pm 176/97lunch 99/60morning 141/82pm 106/56lunch 183/67morning 107/58 122/101 96/53 90/61 88/52 101/61 81/41.

I take 200 mgs atenolol , 25 HCTZ, and 5 Felodipine,all in the morning. I've had my sister check it with her cuff and it comes out the same way.the first 6 numbers are from yesterday.Don't go back to Doc until November.

any ideas why it fluctuates so much?no rhyme or reason why it jumps around so much but I do know that when it gets low I have no energy.

Your BP jumps around like mine does and it would be that way for anyone over the time of the day. The problem with folks like us is that our BP can jump into extremes where as the "normal" folks won't vary that much. Mine is higher when I get up in the morning and a couple hours after I take my morning meds which includes Coreg it will be something around 111/50. As the day goes on it will vary depending on what I'm doing but will be working up to a higher number when I take the evening dose. Coreg is a beta/alpha blocker and your atenolol is a pure beta blocker which I have been on before with the same type of results you are getting.

When do you take the atenolol? Keep a diary for a few days of when you take the meds and what your activity level is along with the BP numbers. You listed a couple of high readings and it would be interesting to know your activity level before those readings.

You can tell when the BP is getting low as you said with low energy and probably dizziness when suddenly standing from a sitting or lying position. This should be a clue to be extra careful with activities and especially driving. If you're bothered by this type of low BP often call the doc before November. It looks like what you're seeing here is your medication working.

Yours not only fluctuates a lot, there doesn't seem to be any pattern to it. You'll have either high or low in the morning, same thing for different times during the day. Mine fluctuates but not to that extreme and there's more of a pattern to it.

When they were adjusting/changing my BP meds, they didn't seem too concerned about the lows but they sure didn't like it when the highs went into the 170s or 180s (or above). I am now on about the 8th try of med mixtures, along with a diuretic, and my meds are taken both in the morning and/or in the evening.

Gilbert has some good suggestions, and I also agree with calling your doc before November if you are concerned...either about your lows or your highs.

Good luck,

Denise

The calcium channel blockers may help to treat angina, high blood pressure, and abnormal heart rhythms. Generic for Adalat is prescribed to treat high blood pressure. This lowers the blood pressure and improves supply of the blood and oxygen to the heart, thus preventing angina attacks.