HeartBoard
Jenn

Need advice

Hi, I am new here. Not sure if this is the right board to be posting. Forgive me if it is not. My DH has been dx with Arrhythmogenic Right Ventricular Cardiomyopathy. He just had EP done and a defibilator installed. He is normally very active and the restrictions they have him on is making him a bit depressed. Is there any advice you can share tht I can help him cope with his new life?

TIA

Jenn

Welcome Jenn although I am sorry for what you and your hubby are going through.

There are quite a few HB members with arrhythmias so I will let them respond to the specifics. Just be aware that sadness and grieving are common and usually time-limited after any major cardiac interventions.

How long ago did all this happen and how sudden was the news?

Also, keep in mind that restrictions often are lifted/modified somewhat over time as one adjusts to the new pace...:)

Good luck with all of it and let us know if we can help....

jan

Yes Jenn welcome :signs046[1]: We do have alot of people that have the same situation. Know right from the beginning you come to the right place. The 1st thing we need to acknowledge is for the most-part this is normal with heart patients. Their is a big psychological behavior change that throws one for a loop and can make them clinically depressed. Nobody wants what they were doing normally suddenly snatched away from them. This is one of the main function's for the Heartboard is to show others they are not not alone and people have common place to meet and ask questions. This is something that cannot be corrected overnight. It takes patience and others whom have already been down that road to share with him that things hopefully get better. I will let others check in that have pacemakers/defibrillator's. We will help him and you through this. Can he use the computer? Keep checking back as others WILL check in and help, I promise. :common076[1]:

Jenn,

What you and your husband have gone through is very difficult. There are stages one has to mentally as well as physically work through to deal with all of this - especially if this was a fairly sudden discovery and procedure.

It sounds like your husband has had good medical care. I haven't had a pacemaker put in, though I need one. During my EP and ablation my node was affected somehow and I now have sick sinus syndrome. They can't put in a pacemaker because I have coagulation problems and have reactions to the main anticoagulant medications. I just do the best I can with my limitations. I try not to look back on what was but to look forward to all that can be. I know this sounds trite, but we kinda have to get into that mode of thinking in order to not go crazy with worry or regret.

I'm sure it will take time for your husband to deal with his restrictions but I'm betting that after a while he will get used to his new life and adjust accordingly. Your husband's situation is a shock and a very frightening experience, and it will take time for all this to settle down - for both of you.

Welcome to HeartBoard, both of you, we are here to support you and help out any way we can.

Denise

Welcome Jenn. I am so sorry to hear that your husband is having heart trouble. I don't have arrythmia problems but I do have coronary artery disease. What your husband is feeling is completely normal. It takes a while to process and come to terms with our new "normal". Also, as someone else mentioned, the limitations sometimes are lifted after our bodies adjust to new medications and devices, so give it time. I remember after my diagnosis, I was so angry. I had a balloon angioplasty which helped but now I have constant angina. I tried going back to work 3 months after my procedure but after only a couple of days, it hit me like a ton of bricks that my life had changed and I was going to have to change dreams and careers which was very hard as I had just landed what I thought was my dream job. The anger consumed me for almost a year. It's hard to adjust to doing things different but I've learned to look for the positives in everything. Tell your husband we are here for him as well as we are here for you too. You are also going through some pretty strong emotions, I'll bet. Check in often.

Vicki :grouphug2:

Hopefully you will soon hear from someone with a defib. It is very difficult to accept life-changing circumstances, and a heart issue is pretty much at the head of the list. I'm a heart patient, have eight stents in my heart arteries and several heart attacks. I'm probably much older than your husband. He will undoubtedly go through a number of emotions, and I'll bet he will come to the understanding that he didn't go stupid the moment of heart trouble, and he can achieve many of his life goals with an adjustment in his lifestyle. I suggest treating a serious heart issue the same way 12-step programs seem to work, one day at a time. Best wishes to your husband, and I also encourage him when he's ready to investigate heart message boards. There are several excellent resources out there, certainly including this one. Best wishes.

Hi Jenn,

I had an ICD implanted a few years ago and thought at the time I would be limited to staying at home watching dull TV shows to avoid excitement. I followed the docs instructions and went to rehab for the required time to get back into the swing of things and learn a proper lifestyle. I know the ICD is there if needed but my life is as back to normal a possible before the ICD. A year prior to the ICD I also had a triple bypass.

As you can tell by the healthy recipe section we eat well even though we have to watch that closely. The activity program is very important and should be a daily regimen with your husband and also with you for the support that is very needed.

One advantage of the pace maker or ICD is you don't have to wait in line at the airports anymore. Just tell them that you have a pacemaker and you get first class individual treatment in a private room for screening then to the head of the line when done.

The activity regimen can be done is several ways and is not limited to the gym, health club or the home treadmill. My treadmill is starting to catch some dust due to the fact that Adele and I have rediscovered dancing. We've became involved in this so much that we have turned our dinning room into our personal dance hall for our nightly practice. Friday and Saturday nights are our dance nights out and we're feeling great and losing weight to boot. Other cardio workouts might be bowling, walking the trail through parks or just around the block but you and your husband really need to get out. An active mind and body doesn't leave much time for depression.

You'll have to take it slow and with your cardio's supervision and blessings but you can build a program over the years. It took me three years to get to this stage where I feel almost normal in my activities but I'm back in tune with the rest of the world and family. I figured that it took me fifty years to get into this bad condition so getting some form of more normal life back is not going to happen quickly.

A big welcome to both you and your husband to the board and I hope that both of you will be regulars here.

Hi Jenn, and welcome! I can't add much more except to agree with what the other members have already said.

My situation didn't involve having a defibulator put in but I did have a horrible arrythmia for many years. I finally had the EP and an ablation done and it has been successful...no more fast, irregular heartbeat since the ablation! Hang in there and you and your husband will adjust to the necessary changes I'm sure. You will get a lot of help and support here! :)

Hi!

Thank you so much for the wonderful responses. Hubby is only 36 so I think this is making it worse on him. This was an all of the sudden issue. He has had palpations for some time but everytime they tested him, everything was fine. Then on April 1ast, his heart rate was 220 and his bp was like 80/50. They had to shock him back to a good rhythm. Several tests later, they found that he has ARVC and our fun just started. He was in the hossy for about 12 days. He had an EP done and an eight hour ablation. Then, the defib just in case. It was a long long 12 days. We are expecting our first child any day now. So, he feels so helpless because he cannot help with the preparation. I am trying to get him on this board. But, until then, I keep telling him what you guys are going through and what you say and I think it might be helping. He seems a little better today (not much though).

Thank you again!

Jenn

I sure feel for what your husband is going through.

By the way, congratulations on your soon to appear little baby! You must be on a rollercoaster with all this, try to de-stress yourself if you can.

For both of you (three actually), good things are just beginning.

Hugs,

Denise

I can understand where he might be rather fearful and nervous. It's bad enough getting health news like this so young (I was 32) but to be facing fatherhood for the first time has to be stressful as well. He's probably scared that he won't be able to support his new family, or do the things he wants to do for the baby. Give him some time to recuperate and get his bearings with his new situation. Make sure you take care of yourself as well. Congratulations on the new baby coming. I'll be praying for your family.

Vicki

Its good that he had the ablation done. I tell you, my successful ablation finally made my life so much better! I was having the rapid heart rate episodes so often they all knew me at the ER! And had that constant, nagging fear that an episode would happen anytime! Your hubby is going to feel such relief once he recoops! :signs007[1]:

Hi again Jenn..... A colleague of mine had similar symptoms apparently, when he was 38 or so. He eventually had a stent put in and got more into dietary and exercise healthy routines (as he had three preschoolers, all little girls, at the time)....

Just thought I would let you know that he gets checked every few years but his youngest daughter is now graduating from university and he has remained symptom free for nearly 20 years now....

Sometimes it is nice to hear about these good stories at a time of life like you and your husband are having. My colleague, incidentally, says he never regrets that it happened as it smartened him up right away and permanently. With a baby on the way, wakeup calls can be useful...:)

jan

Hi again Jenn..... A colleague of mine had similar symptoms apparently, when he was 38 or so. He eventually had a stent put in and got more into dietary and exercise healthy routines (as he had three preschoolers, all little girls, at the time)....

Just thought I would let you know that he gets checked every few years but his youngest daughter is now graduating from university and he has remained symptom free for nearly 20 years now....

Sometimes it is nice to hear about these good stories at a time of life like you and your husband are having. My colleague, incidentally, says he never regrets that it happened as it smartened him up right away and permanently. With a baby on the way, wakeup calls can be useful...:)

jan

It is sooo nice to hear good stories. Thank you!!

Welcome back Jenn, we thought you disappeared on us. Hope all is well :common076[1]: