HeartBoard
Sign in to follow this  
noxcuse

Magnesium and Atrial Fibrilation

I have always known this but I had told one of our elderly patients to ask there doctor about some bloodwork being done of the subject below and she was told he did not believe in alternative medicine. What the?

Magnesium, when used intravenously, appears to be helpful in the acute treatment of rapid atrial fibrillation. Dr. Orhan Onalan and colleagues from the University of Toronto reviewed randomized clinical trials on the role of magnesium in the treatment of rapid atrial fibrillation. They compared the effectiveness of magnesium to placebo or antiarrhythmic drugs. Magnesium therapy was much more effective than placebo, and did not have side effects. Dr. Orhan Onalan and colleagues conclude, "intravenous magnesium administration is an effective and safe strategy for the acute management of rapid atrial fibrillation." A recent study shows magnesium deficiency resulting from feeding a diet that has a third of the recommended magnesium intake induces heart rhythm problems, impairs glucose balance, and alters cholesterol metabolism. Doctors often use expensive drugs to control rhythm problems whereas in some cases an inexpensive and safe mineral exists.

Isn't that unreal! Docs take the oath to help people and nowhere does it say as long as it doesn't take away from their business!!! I'd be changing doctors REAL QUICK if my doc said something like that!

Again, it gets back to the pharma companies wining and dining the doctors, pushing their products. It's scary.

Wow! I wonder what they would say if I ended up in ER yet again for A Fib and suggested IV Magnesium instead of the IV Diltiazem they give me. The Diltiazem always causes a huge drop in BP and also Bradycardia...which always results in me having to be admitted.

This is very interesting.

Denise