HeartBoard

DOES THIS MAKE SENSE????

Hi Mary - If your cardio doesn't think it's your heart :common003[1]: when you have CP and SOB, can you get an opinion from another cardio? I think I definitely would, in your situation. Do you take nitro when you have CP? Does it help? I know the heat can make things worse!

On the EKG - is "unconfirmed" in handwriting, or part of the printout? I know the machine kicks out what it thinks the diagnosis is, but it has to be read and signed by a human being (cardio) before anything is official. Sometimes they disagree with the machine and write in another interpretation...

Glad your other results were OK!

Hang in there!

hugs,

Oona

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>>>>Hope all is well. I went to the hematologist since I've been off Lipitor (1 week) had more bloods drawn. My abdomen sonogram is on Monday, June 13th. According to my prior bloodtest liver enzymes are going lower. 1 more week off the Lipitor. I have not told my cardio that I'm off the Lipitor and Zetia. I figure since I'm well below all levels, it won't hurt.<<<<

I was thinking of doing this..My cholesterol levels have never been a problem since day one and yet my cardio wants me to stay on Lipitor "for life"..I feel so tired and sometimes achey in my joints..I`ve heard they can be side effects..I was thinking of stopping taking it on my own awahile just to see if those things clear up :blink:

I wouldn't hesitate - I'd stop it immediately.

Hey, maybe your cardio just needed some more Lipitor 'points' so Pfizer would send him to Cancun that year.

Here in the USA, one has to examine the Doc's $$ motivations for everything, IMO.

>>>>Hope all is well. I went to the hematologist since I've been off Lipitor (1 week) had more bloods drawn. My abdomen sonogram is on Monday, June 13th. According to my prior bloodtest liver enzymes are going lower. 1 more week off the Lipitor. I have not told my cardio that I'm off the Lipitor and Zetia. I figure since I'm well below all levels, it won't hurt.<<<<

I was thinking of doing this..My cholesterol levels have never been a problem since day one and yet my cardio wants me to stay on Lipitor "for life"..I feel so tired and sometimes achey in my joints..I`ve heard they can be side effects..I was thinking of stopping taking it on my own awahile just to see if those things clear up 

Hold on there, partners!! ?? Why not be honest with your doctors and work with them, statins vary in their side effects. I'm on my third brand and even that one had bad side effects so I cut the pills in half (after consultation with my nurse and his supervising cardio) and am doing OK side-effect wise although my LDL is a bit too high at 110. "They" say that side effects sometimes disappear after awhile; has anyone had that experience with statins?

Programbo, why does your cardio want you on Lipitor?

>>>>Programbo, why does your cardio want you on Lipitor?<<<<

Well according to my family doctor most cardiologists just go by the book and since the vast majority of heart attacks are caused by the same things..Plaque,diet,lack of exercise,stress,heredity,etc..They just automatically put all patients they get on the standard drugs..I asked my cardiologist why I was on each of the drugs I am on and his answer for the Lipitor was that recent studies have shown that cholesterol numbers much lower than what used to be considered "good" have added long term benefits for people with heart damage and that diet and exercise alone won`t produce these low numbers..I believe he used some standard response like "Better to be safe than sorry"...But I figured if I stopped taking it for a few weeks (I have perscriptions for over a year) and my tiredness and acheyness went away I`d have some grounds to call him and ask about a change (I was on Lisinopril before and was coughing all the time and it wasn`t untill I stopped taking it and the cough went away that he agreed that was what was causing it and switched me to mething else)

]I was on Lisinopril before and was coughing all the time and it wasn`t untill I stopped taking it and the cough went away that he agreed that was what was causing it and switched me to mething else[/i])

33779[/snapback]

Programbo, thanks for your reply about Lipitor and, to me, the very interesting quote above. I am currently having a longterm cough checked out and came to the idea that it might be a side effect of Lisinopril. But the doc said no. My cough got so bad, I had episodes where I couldn't catch my breath for about a minute. (BTW, the immediate solution is to breath out instead on in--works like a charm). At this point in the HMO investigation, I found out that my vocal cords are very damaged, the front of them by the coughing and the back perhaps by that old standby: acid reflux. I am being treating for acid reflux now and will start speech therapy on June 23, then back to the Ear Nose and Throat doc on July 11.

I couldn't help thinking of Pres. Clinton and others whose voice change after by-pass surgery. I had a stent placement only and don't think there is a connection to that kind of procedure, does anyone know?

That is a very good point you make about keeping our doctors advised - both when we are having side effects and when we want to stop something. I was mostly talking to Programbo when I said I would quit, but then I'm not a Doc, of course, and possibly there were other reasons to be on it. But the idea of "boilerplate" treatment for heart patients is outrageous! (altho I can believe some cardios's must behave that way) After all, it's not profitable to slow down and THINK. I personally have a big problem with the idea of statins (or anything) 'for life'. I wonder if enough testing has been done to know if you would not reach liver failure first? (just read the warnings, folks!)

As always, we need to be very proactive about our health and do whatever we can do - diet, nutrition, EXERCISE, to try to control our risk factors. I think we have amazing power to go a long way towards healing ourselves - without intervention, especially not *invasive* intervention - avoiding that SHOULD be cause for all kinds of self-motivation! I have always relied on this very heavily and always will, for a number of reasons.

Jeanne, that must be one nasty cough! Wow. I had not heard of open heart surgery or cath's changing one's voice - and hadn't noticed it in Clinton, but then I haven't really heard him since right after his surgery and I assumed it was just because he was weak from that. I worry about him, though, because he never gave himself a recovery - not the first time or the second...

hugs to all,

Oona

BTW - My opinions are always colored by my well justified mistrust of doctors and their motives, and should probably be taken with a wheelbarrow (not a grain) of salt. Although, I do encourage everyone - especially those who religiously 'follow doctor's orders' to become MUCH more skeptical. It's all for profit, after all...please remember that.....I could probably write an awesome rant today.....(maybe later)

I will go on to say that I think there is a great deal of psychological coercion that goes on - and is caused by - and fully taken advantage of by cardio's, SHAMEFULLY, and at a time when we are least able to defend ourselves, least able to seek information or alternative options for treatment, and are given the Bum's Rush into invasive procedures and treatments, believing that our very lives depend on doing something AT THAT MOMENT - when I'll bet 90% of the time, it's actually not urgent.

I am especially torqued about this today, because I just came back from entering the words 'unnecessary heart surgery' into a search engine and have read everything that came back. It's just outrageous! Try it and see what I mean. I have been reading of so many stent placements for blockages of only 40%, thereby causing a life long dependence on drugs - statins, blood-thinners, etc. And I have read that aspirin works every bit as well, but is not prescribed because there's no patent on it, and no profit in it. I have had the feeling for some time, that cardio's are 'cath happy', IMO in complete disregard of the risks and dangers of a cath. (I had a heart attack during mine) and I am very alarmed when people with no prior history ask for, or 'want' a cath! Be careful what you wish for! Be VERY careful.

And how many of you have sensed irritation by your Doctors towards you when you had information and knowledge that (according to them) you had NO business having - causing you to ask very relevant questions about your treatment for your own body? Thank God for the internet. We no longer have to be led by our noses like lambs to the slaughter based on the infallibly superior knowledge of these Gods of Cardio. Shame on them!!! Their next boat payment depends on you (in the US).

Thanks, Oona, for another good post.

I am currently reluctantly researching (non-heart related) vocal cord problems. I'm not very far into it but its pretty much the same story. A new site and forum was started by someone who was kicked off a more official(?) site that she claims was funneling people into Botox treatments for profit. Its very depressing as it seems that many of the treatments such as speech therapy do not work for many people who post on that forum. As an aside regarding another issue that is active: I do not think I will post on that site!

Also, in another context, I said, "the situation you find yourself in IS NOT YOUR FAULT." That sentiment helped me immensely when I first got into the cardio system. My ear, nose and throat doc, however, went on about how I have developed bad habits--not a good chairside manner. My diagnosis of damaged vocal cords due to Acid Reflux isn't even final, its a part of the process of elimination.

BTW, my doctors prescribes 2 baby aspirin (to be purchased anywhere) as a blood thinner and the Ear Nose and Throat doc prescribed a generic Prilosec--I figure the generic plus my $25 co-pay (each for five appointments) is impressively less than the cost I would pay for say, a 6-month supply of Prilosec over the counter at Walgreens. I was very amused to see that my local Walgreens has it displayed literally over the checkout counter. I must research the percentage of Americans who have acid reflux--80%? 95% in my neighborhood?

Be well, all.

Hi Everyone!!! :grouphug2:

I haven't really had a chance to reply lately. Oona on my EKG at the hospital it had unconfirmed printed on top. What's that about??? I didn't tell cardio about this as I'm not really suppose to be looking at my chart. It is mine, is it not??? Does this make sense to you????? :blue: No I do not take nitro, just complain all the time about CP.

Take care all and be well

God Bless

xoxomm120754 aka mm1207

Mary :wub:

I would guess the vocal cord change would have occurred because as a patient undergoing by-pass you are placed on a vent--(I know my husband ws placed on a vent for 3 weeks, because of an accident and it did injure his vocal cords that was over 20 yrs ago and they have not returned to normal-

FYI--I am sure your cardio's are doing the same thng but mine say my LDL needs to be 70 or under--I know that is one of the reasons I have to take cholesterol meds-and they do not like me I have taken 4 different ones and am back to Pravachol and Zetia--

My husband had a chronic cough . Finally,we found out it was his blood pressure medication. The cough disappeared after he went off of the Zestril(I think it was). He quit smoking the day of his stroke and was able to go off of the other bp medication. That was 2 good things anyway,not smoking and off bp meds. tt

:grouphug2: Hi Everyone!!!!

This crazy lady is having chest pain again on and off all day, it kinda feels like ripping or tearing. My blood pressure is up and I will see my PCP tomorrow and complain about this. I swear this is driving me crazy. I really need some guidance here folks. Anyone have any ideas whats happening???? I'm tired of this craziness. HELP!!!!

Love, Peace and Happiness (sounds like the 70's)

God Bless Us All!!!

xoxo mm120754 aka mm1207 :blue:

Hey Mary, I'm worried about you!!! Did you mean you're seeing your Cardio today (Sat?)

I hope so!!! Let us know how it goes.....and get some nitro, for heavens sakes!

Love, Peace and Happiness (sounds like the 70's) to you too!

Thanks for the reminder of happier times....

hugs,

Oona