HeartBoard
Guest Ford427so

Good Morning

Hey Vicky, I hope you are keeping warm. The high temps have been below 30 for the past two weeks here. I woke up Monday to 5 degrees and it didn't get up to 20 that day. All the promised snow has not shown and is forcast again for Saturday. However we are supposed to get a heat wave this weekend of 38. It's not really that bad if the sun is out and there is no wind. It looks like the gas company will be making up for the last few months. A bit of worry for Adele's daughter in upper New York. Some places there should have around ten feet of snow by this weekend.

Jerry, I'm glad Gordon had a good time here. Thank you for playing host to him and Michelle. I'll be looking forward to reading of the adventures. Also, I'm glad to hear that you got through the storms alright. After our tornado one of the local TV stations got with Midland and made weather radios offered to the public for half price. Over 40,000 were sold in six month and they are still available.

Yeah, we are staying as warm as possible. Our wind chills have been below zero some days. I woke up this morning to our water being frozen. Our heat lamp in our wellhouse was out so it froze in the 30 minutes between my husband leaving for work and me getting up. Go figure! Hope everyone else is doing well.

A bit of a warm up today before another chill and some possible snow this week. Up to 40 today with some sun and then clouds and a possible snow starting tomorrow. One of Adele's daughters came to visit over the weekend and another friend of hers stopped by yesterday. I've got a house full of women today and will be starting a nice meal later.

Gotta get some valentine cards later and get them out. One grand daughter has a birthday on the 14th.

I have lived in Florida all my life Gilbert, but this really was another close call with NO advance warning for us and it could have been a disaster for us also. Thank God we got lucky, but I am taking yours and others advice and going to get one of those Midland radio's. They are running a local special here, like you say, about half off normal cost. It's better to be save than sorry so atleast we might get enough warning and these also work for a National Emergency, so you never know when we might need that either. Thanks for the compliments also on playing host for Gordon and Michelle. We could not have dreamed of better guests. He still has a few stories left up his sleeve I know about, hehe. Just wait. Hope everyone is well. :common076[1]:

Hey everyone! I hope everyone is doing well. We started the day with heavy rain and are ending it with snow and ice. We were lucky though to be on the southern end of this winter storm. How is it in Indiana? It looked like the storm was intensifying over that way. The kids are bored since they got the day off today due to weather. I sure hope they have school tomorrow. I did enjoy the day off myself. Heidi, how are you doing? I am keeping you in my prayers.

Vicki

I also hope everyone is doing well, and their weather is behaving.

We're just back to regular Seattle rain, which is fine (everyone goes crazy whenever the sun appears around here, lol).

Gilbert, I looked at the Midland site and am considering getting one, thanks for the info.

Vicki, I hope you aren't weathered in still, but it's kinda neat to have the family all together sometimes on extra days like this, isn't it :) . I only wish my daughters were young again and still living with me, we used to have SO much fun.

I'm hanging in there, got a lot of medical stuff going on but that's par for the course. Bob is jazzed because he has a whole month without a doctors' appointment for something (he usually has a few a week) but we're knocking on wood that there isn't some sort of emergency which will get him in this month - which is what usually happens when he has a break in appointments.

My best to everyone,

Denise

We got the same Vicky. Rain all day and starting to freeze around four yesterday afternoon. Streets and roads are ice covered and schools are closed here today. Right now the sun is out but it's still below 20 degrees. The main roads and streets should be cleaned up this afternoon though so tomorrow will just be another cold day. Most of the really bad weather stayed north of I-64 which is about 12 miles north of us. Where Adele's daughter lives in Ithica, NY, they got three or four feet of snow. Our next snow is scheduled for Saturday. That might shut Adele into Lafayette where she is planning on going Friday night.

Well today its just plain cold. Roads are in good condition though so my younger two were able to go to school. My oldest daughter who's in high school didn't have school. She decided to help in the kitchen at the other two's school. Unfortunately, she got very sick to her stomach and shaky, fever etc. so I had to bring her home at noon. I tucked her in and told her not to breathe on me! LOL! I sure don't want that. I am so glad we don't live in New York where all the real snow is. Denise, I'll keep praying for you and Bob. Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

:grouphug2:

Vicki, I hope your daughter is feeling a lot better by now. I also hope whatever it was isn't contagious.

Reminds me of when my daughters were ill when they were at home with me. I'd go to the store and get them "sick" stuff. Like "sick" magazines (the teen ones), "sick" food (you know: popsicles, jello, ice cream, chicken soup, crackers, etc. etc. depending on what illness they had), and "sick" junk (like toys and coloring books, things they could do while in bed). I'd go in on their second morning of being sick, and have a note pad and they would list off everything they could think of they wanted. Depending on our finances at the time, I'd get whatever I could. To this day they still remember and say it used to help a lot.

Good luck to your daughter, and to all the family.

Love,

Denise

Good morning everyone! I hope everyone is having a great weekend so far. I woke to snow (again!) and really cold windchills (in the single digits). Guess we'll spend the day indoors cleaning and playing board games. Secretly I like those kinds of days but I won't tell my kids that! They might think mom is nuts. Katie is doing better since she was sick earlier in the week. I think it must have been a virus or something. Well the laundry is done in the dryer so I'm off to fold clothes.

Vicki

:P

Snow and cold here too. The snow started about three this morning and is still going with three to four inches on the ground now. No place to go today but my son is supposed to come over later. Cleaning out computer files and moving photos off the computer onto CDs. Got my taxes done this morning too. I've been using Tax Slayer.com for the past few years. It's quick and everything is done online and the refunds sent to the bank.

Maybe we'll put on a pot of soup or beans in a bit. It's the perfect weather for that.

Well, I'm embarrassed to say this but it's sunny in Seattle!!! B) My sympathies, though, to all you who are stuck with snow.

The other day, I was worried because racing past our corner were 5 fire engines (from three different stations), 3 of those red SUVs that the chiefs or whomever drive, 2 ambulances and a ladder truck. My firefighter daughter was off that day, and I was worried because they were all heading towards the direction of the park on Lake Washington where she usually runs her dog (I had visions of terrorist bombs, plane crashes, that sort of thing, also I didn't know if off duty firefighters are supposed to join in to help when needed).

When I called her to see if she was okay, she laughed and asked why on earth was I worried? I said "because I'm your mother".

I told her about all the emergency vechicles going by with their sirens blaring and she just laughed again. She said anytime there's a real fire they send out at least three trucks and a ladder truck...even if it's just a small structure. She also said everyone gets excited and wants to be the first one there to get into the fight.

As far as the SUVs, she said they are used by various positions and any time they get to go "play", they will rush right out.

I knew she'd put it in perspective, but am still totally surprised at the attitude...I guess firefighters are a different breed.

Funny thing is, when she first joined it was only because in order to work as a paramedic in Seattle, she had to get accepted into the Fire Department too. She said - at first - that she hated the idea of firefighting and hoped she never had to actually do that, but she was stuck with that aspect if she wanted to be a medic here. Well, now she says that she LOVES working against a real fire, especially a "fun" one. Methinks they brainwashed my little girl.

Denise

Hey Denise,

With what your daughter is doing now what other kind of job do you think she could do and stay awake during the shift. I would really love to sit down with her and talk fire and ambulance sometime. When you make a run off duty that is called "buffing a job". Similar to the fire buff who always stays tuned to the emergency frequencies and might show up anywhere just to watch. Here in town there is a club known as the Fire Siren Club. This club is made up of fire buffs and they have training sessions to help the regular firefighters on the scene. They have specially marked turnouts and don't fight the fires but are used in different positions of helping such as humping hose, changing air packs and clean up. They still get smoke in their nostrils, clothes and skin and close to the excitement and are an important means of extra help. From me to your daughter...rock on girl.

BTW, we are expecting a heat wave this week with temps into the 50s by midweek. This has been our biggest snow of the year with a whole three inches.

Gilbert

Gilbert, I'll pass your message (and the post probably) to my daughter, she'll really enjoy both. It's obviously in your blood too, lol I said firefighters were a different breed...you seem to think alike. No wonder there's such a brotherhood (sisterhood?) among you. I guess it also comes with the type of work with it's dangers, and the reliance on each other.

Heat wave after snow like you've gotten? Is this normal for you? We ended up, of course, with rain towards the end of our sunny day, and now have weather in the 40s but with a biting wind. This city is interesting in that some areas will be warmer than others, some windier than others. Has to do with the mountains, ocean and the elevations...but it is weird sometimes for it to be fairly calm and not too cold at our place, then when we drive 10 minutes to a shopping center it's COLD and windy. We keep scarfs and gloves on the backseat so we're not caught unprepared.

'Course when we lived in Fortuna, also on the coast, we picked up the habit of the locals of always having an entire and opposite outfit in our trunk. If it was shorts weather, we'd keep coats and long pants and solid shoes in the trunk. If it was cold weather, we'd keep the warm weather stuff back there. The climate changed from small area to small area and also many times during the day.

In southern California, however, we were able to know exactly what kind of day we were going to have for the entire day...from first thing in the morning.

This has been a normal February for us. We usually have a warm spell between the middle and end of the month. If the month has been dry we might get a chance to do some yard work or even the first turning of the gardens. Right now we are coming off of three weeks of well below freezing so no yard work this time. Best to leave that ground alone for a while. Contrary to popular belief however March here is usally both in and out like a lion and we don't see the lamb until mid April.