HeartBoard

New diagnostic machine?

I've been getting bits and pieces of a new cardiac diagnostic machine made by GE. It's said to be non invasive and could replace the cardiac cath. Has anyone heard of this?

Gilbert

Heidi,

I spent some time going online and believe I found what I was looking for. The GE Lightspedt VCT scanner. Now to find the nearest hospital that has one.

http://www.gehealthcare.com/usen/ct/products/vct.html

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone! :grouphug2:

I think the new imaging device that scans slices of the body is called multislice computer tomgraphy.

It sounds promising and the URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7965699.

If it lives up to the hype, I'd try it instead of a heart cath anyday. Take care, be well and God Bless

xoxoMary (mm1207) :grouphug2:

Hi everybody,

With all this new technology, I think that we will see a lot of these cardiac diagnostic machines coming out.

I am very much interested in seeing some kind of an ongoing list here of CT Scanners and/or GE Lightspeed scanners. I am talking about a list with the location and address of the hospitals.

So, every time someone finds out about a new scanner, the location could be added to the list, rather than start a new topic or a new reply each time.

I am not sure how this would work, if at all. But maybe someone here with the help of the moderator has some ideas???

I thought this was a gread idea :signs053[1]:

Renate

That's a great idea Renate. How about this?

If a list was started it could be pinned so it would always be available. Gary and I could delete anything that is not a listed location so the topic would not get cluttered and just be a location only list of the new high speed scanners. The idea for this would be just a location list so all other conversation would be done elsewhere.

I am so excited to see that Oona found one right by me!! The UW is where I go for my care and my doctors are all UW physicians, so I feel very fortunate.

Thank you, famulus, for finding this! I'd done some searches and couldn't find anything that listed where the new scanners are and even had gone on the UW site but couldn't find anything there...apparently I wasn't searching correctly.

Regardless, this is a great relief. I just wish there were more of these scanners around so there would be one close to everyone.

Denise

You are welcome Denise - I'm very glad for you too! I think more and more of these will be coming into use very soon - pretty much everywhere. Finding them is a different matter!

I've only found the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in the US.. The words I used in search engines was "ct scanner" and either "announcement", or "press release", stuff like that..... keep searching, you guys!!

One point of interest - and why I think these will catch on very fast is that in one of the articles, they say a cath is $3500, where a CT scan is $1000. Looks like the insurance companies will have NO problem jumping on the bandwagon.

My concern - and I'm looking and finding no information - is what kinds of information these scans will show. It seems clear that they will show CAD. I'm just not sure if they will show valve or heart wall disease. One of the articles says that the scanner can replace "most caths". Does anyone know the answer to this???

Oona, in the article from UW it says:

"The VCT scanner will allow physicians to diagnostically scan patients exhibiting acute chest pain in the emergency room quickly and non-invasively for evidence of the three most life-threatening causes of chest pain, all in a single scan.

In one scan lasting just six seconds, coronary artery insufficiency, aortic dissection and pulmonary embolic disease can be found or excluded, Shuman said, along with other causes of chest pain, like pneumonia or a rib fracture.

The new scanner will also aid in detecting vascular disease in the brain and other parts of the body, he said."

I don't know if this answers your question, or is complete...but at least it gives a little more info. :)

Denise

I can’t help wondering if Cardiologists would accept the diagnosis of this non invasive VCT scan or, if he/she would insist that you have to undergo Coronary Angiogram verification before any surgical procedure is undertaken.(Be it angioplasty or bypass surgery)

One of my doctors have said that the Angiogram is the Golden standard of measurement

kalip