noxcuse

A place to talk about our bloodwork

Guest andreaf

Just had a lipid profile done like 2 weeks ago:

Total 146

Trigs 130

HDL 37

LDL 83

I was fairly happy with these numbers, of course I would like to get the HDL higher, at least over 40. I have been adding more monounsaturated fats to my diet to that end (Just call me Olive Oyl :P)

I was not given any more specific numbers than that, should I have asked for more specifics? You guys are quoting stuff I have never heard of before.

Oh, and a little over a month ago, I started folic acid and Bvitamin supplements, which hopefully will bring down the homocysteine levels, and I'm hoping the next set of tests will include that #.

What else should I be asking for when I am getting results from the docs?

andrea

HERE ARE MINE A LITTLE OLD FROM 10/03:

TOTAL CHOLESTERAL 165

TRIGLYCERIDES 199

HDL 44

LDL 81

AT LEAST MY CHOLESTERAL IS BETTER DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO ABOUT THE TRIGLYCERIDES--THEY WENT HIGH AFTER I WENT ON A LOW FAT LOW CHOLESTERAL DIET-- TOO MANY CARBS! :heart:

New blood work (for me, from one month post-Lipitor and just prior to my angiogram in mid-Feb):

triglycerides - 69

cholesterol (total) - 170

VLDL Chol. - 32

LDL Chol. - 80

HDL Chol. - 58

Chol:HDL ratio - 2.9

LDL:HDL ratio - 1.4

Not bad, eh? Quite a change from the fall...(see below a few entries). I guess Lipitor works, huh?

jan

Congratulations Jan!!!! :D

Andrea,

The amount of numbers you will get from your dr will depend on the number of tests that are ran. I have blood drawn every 8 weeks but not always the same tests are ran but always the LDL.

A nurse from the office always calls me to tell me what my bloodwork results were and I always ask her to mail me a copy. That way I'll get the entire results and can compare that with previous ones. That's a good way to keep on top of the numbers.

Gilbert

:P Ohhhh, I like that idea, Gilbert and I'm going to start the very next time I have my blood drawn-Thanks! Hugs, Teri : )

Jerry, Just wondering how you made out on your latest blood work. Didn't you have it done this week? (or am I dreaming again?)

My last blood work read as follows

Total cholesterol 199

Triglycerides 151

HDL 44

LDL 125

Ratio 4.5

And I am using Zocor too !!!!

Well, Kalip those numbers aren't exactly what you'd like to see, huh? What dose of Zocor are you on? I know you are true vegan...hmmmm, do consume any alcoholic beverages? I'm just trying to get a fix on the triglecerides & the LDL?! A lot of the #'s are probably due to heridity, too...Let's see if someone else can come up with a few things on this...Hugs always, Teri :heart:

I use 20 mg of zocor I use absolutely no alcoholic beverages

I use no oily or fried stuff and am a strict vegan!!!!

This is just inexplicable can’t understand why it is so high !!

:heart: Okay, Kalip....you probably have some genetic stuff going on, I do and many others here do too, so don't get too excited yet! Ask your Dr. about the possibility of increasing your dose of Zocor to the 40 mg., or another Statin, or even Niacin...OR asking them why they feel you're levels are like they are!! Perhaps it has someithing to do with some dietary something or other that you aren't getting in your particular diet...you just never know! Let me know when you hear back regarding this! I'd appreciate any feedback re this!! You take care, Kalip, and be well!

Hugs always, Teri :P

As Teri said, Kalip, it's not time to panic yet as the statin dose you are on is not very high. Remember that statins are considered very safe and there is lots of room for improvement in those numbers tho' they could be worse (and remember that they likely were before the statin!). So talk to the docs and see what else should be considered. Good luck, Kalip. Otherwise, how are you doing?

jan

Kalip,

Although I'm not a strict vegan I don't eat a lot of meat and then it's fish about 3 or 4 times a week. Other meats are eaten about once a month and beef just a couple times a year. Before I started getting good reading on my blood work I was on 40 mg of Zocor and then it was raised to 60 about 4 months ago. My cardiologist also has me on lopid and those with the diet are keeping my LDL in the good range at about 70 but am still having trouble getting a good reading for the HDL.

Diet and excercise usually don't do enough and the statins will have to be used and increased until good results happen.

Gilbert

Last May (2003) I experimented with Natures plus gugulipid 750 mg. capsules.

After two months of the herb my blood results read like this:

Total Cholesterol 187

Triglycerides 129

HDL 58

LDL 103

Ratio 3.2

But apparently it was reacting with the beta blocker (Coreg)

I was forced to Stop and continue with the zocor

Last May (2003) I experimented with Natures plus gugulipid 750 mg. capsules.

After two months of the herb my blood results read like this:

Total Cholesterol 187

Triglycerides 129

HDL 58

LDL 103

Ratio 3.2

But apparently it was reacting with the beta blocker (Coreg)

I was forced to Stop and continue with the zocor

kalip