HeartBoard

HIGH LDL????

GOOD EVENING EVERYONE!!!! :grouphug2:

I just saw my cardio on 2/3/04, he was questioning me about how I felt and what meds I was taking and if I had any more chest pain. Several times I had some discomfort but it always go away. He told me about my recent blood work which was decent. My cholesterol was 170 up 35 points but still considered decent. My LDL is 97 and he told me that was not ideal according to the new guidelines and proceeded to put me on Zetia, 10 mg. What is the new LDL level that they consider ideal??? Anyone know???? I'm curious and kinda upset at having to take another pill. I'd appreciate anyone's input here.

Thanks, take care and God Bless all of us with good health.

xoxomm1207

Mary :heart-pip:

FROM MAYO CLINIC

Measuring your cholesterol

Cholesterol and triglycerides — another form of fat, or lipid — are carried through your bloodstream by proteins called apoproteins. The combination of a lipid and an apoprotein is called a lipoprotein. A typical blood-screening test measures the level of two such substances, which increase your heart disease risk: low-density lipoprotein (LDL), the "bad" cholesterol" and triglycerides. It also measures the level of high-density lipoprotein (HDL), the "good" cholesterol, which protects against heart disease. In the United States, each measurement is expressed in terms of milligrams per deciliter, or mg/dL.

Your LDL cholesterol level is especially important because LDL forms fatty plaques in the walls of arteries. As plaques form in your blood vessels, they restrict blood flow to your heart, which can cause chest pain (angina) and lead to a heart attack. A blood clot also may form on a buildup of plaques and block an artery, causing a heart attack.

If you're age 20 or older, have your cholesterol measured at your doctor's office at least once every five years.

Evaluating your risk of heart disease

The following factors increase your risk of heart disease and help your doctor decide whether to recommend a cholesterol-lowering drug.

· Age. If you're a woman, it's either age 55 or older or any age at which you may have experienced premature menopause. If you're a man, it's age 45 or older.

· Family history. You're at increased risk if you have a father, brother or son who developed heart disease before age 55, or a mother, sister or daughter who developed it before age 65.

· Smoking. This applies not only if you smoke, but also if you live or work every day with people who smoke.

· Low HDL cholesterol. A measurement 40 mg/dL or lower. (A measurement of 65 mg/dL or higher protects against heart disease.)

· High blood pressure. Blood pressure is measured when your heart beats and rests, resulting in two numbers. Anything greater than 140 over 90 is too high.

· Diabetes. The sugar in your bloodstream is measured the same way as cholesterol. A fasting blood sugar level of 126 mg/dL or higher is considered diabetes.

Making the decision

To determine whether you need medication, your doctor looks at your cholesterol and other blood fat levels and considers these alongside your heart disease risk factors. Treatment decisions depend on which risk factors you have. All of these risk factors work together to increase your risk of a heart attack.

According to revised guidelines issued July 2004 by the National Cholesterol Education Program, you may need medication if:

· You have an LDL level of 190 mg/dL or higher and none or one of the heart disease risk factors

· You have an LDL level of 160 mg/dL or higher, two or more risk factors, and less than a 10 percent risk of having a heart attack in the next 10 years

· You have an LDL level of 130 mg/dL or higher, two or more risk factors, and a 10 percent to 20 percent risk of having a heart attack in the next 10 years

The National Cholesterol Education Program's revised guidelines recommend especially aggressive treatment for people described as "high risk" and "very high risk."

You're considered high risk and may need medication if:

· You have an LDL level of 100 mg/dL or higher, have heart disease or diabetes, or have two or more risk factors that give you greater than a 20 percent risk of having a heart attack in the next 10 years

You're considered very high risk and may need medication if:

· You have an LDL level of 70 mg/dL or higher, have heart disease with multiple risk factors (especially diabetes), with poorly controlled risk factors (especially continued smoking) or metabolic syndrome (a cluster of risk factors associated with obesity, including low HDL and high triglycerides), and have greater than a 20 percent risk of having a heart attack in the next 10 years

Hope this helps. PAUL

mm1207--do you take another cholesterol lowering drug besides Zetia? I am only asking as my cardio told me that Zetia is helpful to help another cholesterol drug out if it isn't doing the job I mean as an example I was taking Pravachol (because so many others disagreed with me) and the added Zetia to help the Pravachol out. But then I think the Zetia works differently than the Pravachol. Now I am on Vytorin which is supposed to be both types of cholesteral lowering medication together in ONE pill;and I am anxious to see if it will keep my LDL low enought as my cardio wants my LDL at 70 or lower and at last test it was 72 so I still need a bit further to go--

GOOD MORNING ALL!!! :grouphug2:

Wow Paul that was so kind of you to post all that valuable information about LDL. It helped alot. I understand much better now that I have several risk factors, genetics, HBP and I think even metabolic syndrome. I quit smoking almost 9 months ago after 34 years and wham #### hit the fan. 2 stents in my RCA because of 75% & 80% blockage. Thanks again. I really appreciate your help here.

Hi Stardreamer, I am on Lipitor 40mg. I didn't know that there was so much involved with LDL if my cholesterol level was considered good. My pressure was also up a bit, I think my doctor makes me nervous, sometimes its good and sometimes its on the high side. Go figure. I appreciate both of your responses to my questions here. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for all of this valuable information.

Take care, God Bless and be well!!!

xoxomm1207 :heart-pip:

:wub: Mary

Mary, and anyone else that's interested, there are several subjects under the Food Topic section that cover a lot of these types of questions. The goal of the Food Topic is help you understand what you will find in foods, what you need in foods and just a sampling of recipes to get you where you want to be healthwise!!

:heart-pip: With Love, Teri :P

:heart-pip: HI TERI

Hope all is well with you and yours. I appreciate your response and will definitly check out the food nutrition area. Thanks, take care and God Bless!

xoxomm1207

Mary :heart-pip: