• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#16 Joagar6503

Joagar6503

Platinum member

• Members
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Hi!
    I am angiorns's wife and have been looking for a family support group since Gary's triple bypass on 2/10/04. I actually found the healingwell site for him and I am so happy that I did. I am 48 years old and work as a nurse educator. Gary and I were married on 6/5/03, thus the screen name. We have been together for 10 years.I was not lucky enough to be blessed with children, but I have a beloved stepson, Josh. He is working hard to break into the movie business in LA. I love to read, travel and I love any kind of adventure.I am totally in love with our dog, Simon. I love to cook and am always interested in sharing recipes. I look forward to meeting other spouses and family members on this board. We are all in this together! Jo

Posted 04 April 2004 - 07:15 PM

PUMPKIN MOUSSE

This is so easy and tasty!

Whisk together: 2 packages fat free, suger free vanilla pudding
3 cups skim milk
1 can pumpkin(15 oz)
1 cup fat free cool whip
1/2 to 1 tsp pumpkin pie spices
Refrigerate for one hour and top with FF cool whip

Jo

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle"....Plato

#17 Joagar6503

Joagar6503

Platinum member

• Members
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:Hi!
    I am angiorns's wife and have been looking for a family support group since Gary's triple bypass on 2/10/04. I actually found the healingwell site for him and I am so happy that I did. I am 48 years old and work as a nurse educator. Gary and I were married on 6/5/03, thus the screen name. We have been together for 10 years.I was not lucky enough to be blessed with children, but I have a beloved stepson, Josh. He is working hard to break into the movie business in LA. I love to read, travel and I love any kind of adventure.I am totally in love with our dog, Simon. I love to cook and am always interested in sharing recipes. I look forward to meeting other spouses and family members on this board. We are all in this together! Jo

Posted 04 April 2004 - 07:44 PM

Thanks, Kali...yes , I am ecstatic over Gary's stress test results. We are on our way to full recovery!
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle"....Plato

#18 noxcuse

noxcuse

Board Co-Founder

• Admin
  • 2,331 posts
  • Interests:Medical, helping others, fishing, boating, my family, video gaming.

Posted 05 April 2004 - 08:10 AM

Thank you again, I love pumpkin :) Jerry
"Bad things triumphant, when good people do nothing at all"

"Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it." -Buddha
"So often times it happens, that we live ours life's in chains, and we never even knew we held the key" The Eagles
"There is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it" Alfred Hitchcock

"We have enough religion to make us hate one another, but not enough to make us love each other" Jonathan Swift

"My heart is ruled by Venus, my head by Mars" Phil Lynott

#19 Teri16

Teri16

Titanium member

• Members
  • 5,172 posts
  • Interests:I'm into my family A LOT :), as you will notice that I mention, or refer to them frequently. :-) I'm a fairly great cook when given wide berth and love to try any and all recipes!Gardening is my main outdoor activity and I have plenty of flowers everywhere, except we do have 2 dogs, Shellie, the Puppy and Sam the Golden Retriever-& they both like to garden as well. : ) Petey & Pookie, my cockatiels are nesting on their first batch of 4 eggs and I'm not sure any will hatch this time, but they are giving it their true best! So along with Swimming, Reading ,Crosswords, crocheting, etc...Hugs, Teri

Posted 05 April 2004 - 06:39 PM

:D

Hey Ya'll I'm back!! I generally prefer vacations on the open seas, but open heart hospitals sometimes offer more help when ya need it than fun!!

I saw lots of great food there that was so very heart healthy, unfortuneately for me, I didn't get a chance to eat for almost 48 hours! : ) So the news is that while I've shed a couple more pounds -it's definitely not the way I believe anyone should do it! :P

One new idea that Brittney, my daughter, decided to share with me is a new "Heart healthy? Pretzel"! It does have some sodium, but fairly low and the taste is pretty good! So if you don't have to watch sodium too closely, it might make a good snack, especially for the younger crowd for one of their afterschool snacks!

Thanks to EVERYONE! Especially, my cohort on the board, Kali, for taking over during my absence and getting this recipe topic rolling!! I'd also, like to Thank and Welcome all the newcomers during my absence for your contributions-please keep it up-We LOVE IT!! Hugs Always to you all, Teri

;)
"Because he is he and I am I"...E.V.Lucas

"I'm so excited and I just can't hide it"... The Pointer Sisters

"You Light up my Life"...Debbie Boone

#20 Kali14

Kali14

Titanium member

• Members
  • 675 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, gardening, good mystery movies, reading

Posted 05 April 2004 - 07:52 PM

Teri WELCOME HOME

You gave us all a scare. Sure missed ya girl!!![ :)
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Kali</span>

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly...</span>

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Everyone has a photographic memory.
Some, like me, just don't have any film.
</span>

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
</span>

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Remember, once you get over the hill, you will begin to pick up speed</span>

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>I know that God won't give me more than I can handle but there are times I wish he didn't trust me quite so much.</span>[/B]

#21 Teri16

Teri16

Titanium member

• Members
  • 5,172 posts
  • Interests:I'm into my family A LOT :), as you will notice that I mention, or refer to them frequently. :-) I'm a fairly great cook when given wide berth and love to try any and all recipes!Gardening is my main outdoor activity and I have plenty of flowers everywhere, except we do have 2 dogs, Shellie, the Puppy and Sam the Golden Retriever-&amp; they both like to garden as well. : ) Petey &amp; Pookie, my cockatiels are nesting on their first batch of 4 eggs and I'm not sure any will hatch this time, but they are giving it their true best! So along with Swimming, Reading ,Crosswords, crocheting, etc...Hugs, Teri

Posted 06 April 2004 - 10:26 PM

:P

Jo, I love the sound of that "Pumpkin Mousse"...looking at the 8 ball it looks like something I'll be trying real soon!! Hugs, Teri :)

#22 Teri16

Teri16

Titanium member

• Members
  • 5,172 posts
  • Interests:I'm into my family A LOT :), as you will notice that I mention, or refer to them frequently. :-) I'm a fairly great cook when given wide berth and love to try any and all recipes!Gardening is my main outdoor activity and I have plenty of flowers everywhere, except we do have 2 dogs, Shellie, the Puppy and Sam the Golden Retriever-&amp; they both like to garden as well. : ) Petey &amp; Pookie, my cockatiels are nesting on their first batch of 4 eggs and I'm not sure any will hatch this time, but they are giving it their true best! So along with Swimming, Reading ,Crosswords, crocheting, etc...Hugs, Teri

Posted 07 April 2004 - 12:59 PM

PASTA WITH VEGGIES

If you love Pasta than this is one for you... :P

1 lb. of Penne Rigate, cooked according to al dente directions
Olive Oil
1 can low sodium Vegetable Soup
Fresh cooked vegetables, or Frozen mixed vegetables, about 1 lb.
I Lg. can of Mushrooms drained and Rinsed, or fresh mushrooms cooked
3-4 garlic cloves, minced or used through a press
1/2-1 medium Onion, diced
Pinch of cayenne Pepper
Salt (optional)
Fresh ground black Pepper
Onion and Garlic Powder
All seasonings are to taste, start with 1/4 tsp. you can always add more. : )
Parmesian Cheese for grating at the end

On medium Heat:
In a large pan, add about 1/4 cup of Olive Oil and sautee vegetables with mushrooms and onions and seasonings. After vegetables wilt add garlic and continue sauteeing for about 30 sec. til you can smell the garlic aroma, you can also add more olive oil if mixture is starting to dry out too much. Add soup and cook til it just starts to boil, then add penne. Mix all together. Remove from Heat and grate Parmesian over all. Once again, if mixture needs it, drizzle a bit more Olive Oil over all.

You can interchange vegetables with this dish and if you want to add meat to the mixture, cut up some Low Fat Turkey sausage into bite sized pieces and cook right along with the veggies. This is one of my families favorite dishes and even Brittney will eat her vegetables!! LOL Kevin and Mark eat anything that I cook! : )

HAPPY PASTA!!

Teri :P

#23 Kali14

Kali14

Titanium member

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 05:00 PM

I don't think this would come under the very healthy eating topic because of the skin, but, OH, they are SOOoo good!

SESAME CHICKEN WINGS

3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbs. ginger root, finely chopped
1/3 cup lite-low sodium soy sauce
2 Tbs. honey
1 Tbs. sesame oil
2 Tbs. cider vinegar
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
Marinate washed and dried chicken wings in resealable plastic bag for at least 1 hour. Place on a rack in a shallow pan and bake at 425 degrees about 3/4 hour. (Check after 1/2 hour.)

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly...</span>

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Everyone has a photographic memory.
</span>

</span>

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Remember, once you get over the hill, you will begin to pick up speed</span>

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>I know that God won't give me more than I can handle but there are times I wish he didn't trust me quite so much.</span>[/B]

#24 Teri16

Teri16

Titanium member

• Members
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 07:00 PM

Kali, sometimes we still need a little fat in our diets and this might just be the right time! : ) You've made them so Low fat otherwise, I think it's a wonderful change of pace for us!! Thanks and hugs, Teri :P

#25 Shakabreeze

Shakabreeze

Titanium member

• Members
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 07:37 PM

Pumpkin Pie Mousse, Pumpkin Pie Mousse. Looking good.

Everything is looking scrumptious. Keep it all coming......
Shaka is a Hawaiian offering, a fist in the air with the pinkie and thumb out waving back and forth at the wrist. Symbol of good will, good things, a positive strength and hope for the good in life. Breeze comes from ocean breeze: also positive, empowering, enveloping, enriching, relaxing and, above all, comforting.

#26 Kali14

Kali14

Titanium member

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 08:07 PM

Well, Shaka, you must eat. How about posting some of your recipies? :D
And EVERYONE else out there too. Come on guys- we gotta keep this site active and we want ya'll to participate. It doesn't have to be a detailed, specific recipie. Just explain ways you like to prepare meat, chicken, fish, etc. Or a good munchie or dessert you like. I know if there were a hidden camera in your house, I'd catch you all eating at some point in the day so, tell us what it is!! ;) :rolleyes: <_< :P

</span>

</span>

#27 Teri16

Teri16

Titanium member

• Members
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 09:52 PM

Well, BQ enjoys the pinning of the beans, Kali!-and all those recipes...do we have a pinned Bean site yet...then maybe we could get her going on ideas!! LOL :P

#28 Guest_andreaf_*

Guest_andreaf_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2004 - 09:21 PM

My Favorite Dinner

I like to throw some olive oil in a pan with a few cloves of garlic, sautee some slices of zucchini and big slices of mushroom. Just sear them a little, don't let the zucchini get mushy. Set aside. Throw in a couple of handfuls of raw shrimp, tails removed. Just barely brown them. Toss all of this with hot cooked thin spaghetti, al dente, some fresh basil (or dill, or oregano) and maybe a tbsp more olive oil if needed. I allow myself a little grated Parmesan ( It is my favorite dinner, after all)

I have played with this and had a ball with every veggie known to man, it is excellent with eggplant, squash, etc. You can even go ballistic and throw them all in! Just remember to cook whatever takes longest first, and the shrimp last.

I'm told this is heart healthy as long as you omit the cheese (sigh) and don't go overboard on the shrimp. (Lord, if I'm wrong about that, someone please tell me before I hurt myself.

A plate of this, a green salad with rice vinegar, and a nice German white wine.

heaven. :P

#29 Kali14

Kali14

Titanium member

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 09:57 PM

Andrea. Sounds like you made your own version of Shrimp Scampi, which I love. Will have to try this, Thanks

</span>

</span>

#30 noxcuse

noxcuse

Board Co-Founder

• Admin
  • 2,331 posts
  • Interests:Medical, helping others, fishing, boating, my family, video gaming.

Posted 09 April 2004 - 08:22 AM

I have a modified version of that called Lemon Shrimp Linguine
"Bad things triumphant, when good people do nothing at all"

"Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it." -Buddha
"So often times it happens, that we live ours life's in chains, and we never even knew we held the key" The Eagles
"There is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it" Alfred Hitchcock

"We have enough religion to make us hate one another, but not enough to make us love each other" Jonathan Swift

"My heart is ruled by Venus, my head by Mars" Phil Lynott