The Lounge

• Please log in to reply
452 replies to this topic

#31 ireneo

ireneo

Titanium member

• Members
  • 841 posts
  • Interests:Books, working with wildlife, fishing, chocolate!

Posted 17 June 2007 - 05:38 PM

I never drink buttermilk but I like to use it in cooking. It adds a great zing to mashed potatoes. Of course it's good in biscuits and various muffins. We've used non-fat milk for years now but it just doesn't make mashed potatoes "feel" right. They almost have a watery texture. That's when I switched to buttermilk. Is it high in fat? Guess I could visit Dept. of Ag website and check it out. I thought that's what was left after butter (very high fat) was made. Churning butter was before my time ;-)

I noticed under the misc. board there are some cryptic msg titles and names that I don't recognize. I'm not going to check them out but it seems we're getting some very odd things around here. Thank goodness for the "Welcome" posts. Even if the newbies don't post, at least we get to see their names and know they're for real. You know what I mean?

A question: why do some msgs just have the title and others have a little paperclip next to them?

This is an edit: just went to USDA and this is what I found out.
1 cup/245g of non-fat buttermilk has 2.16 g total fat
1 cup/245g of low fat (1%) buttermilk has 2.16 g total fat
1 cup/245g of 2% buttermilk has 4.9 g total fat
Not sure why non-fat and low fat has the same. Just read what they wrote about the nutrients.

Edited by ireneo, 17 June 2007 - 05:52 PM.

Life has no meaning except for the impact you have on other people

#32 Denisefh

Denisefh

Family Members and Caregivers Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 6,048 posts
  • Interests:Birding, my family especially my two grandsons, RPG video games, reading.

Posted 17 June 2007 - 11:19 PM

Irene,

I've never figured out what the little paper clips mean either. Hopefully someone will tell us. :)

Some of those "cryptic messages" are from spammers or whatever they call them. If you ever click on one of those posts do NOT ever click on any link that is in them. That would possibly expose your computer to a virus or worse.

We get rid of those as soon as we catch them, but until we do they are there and open to anyone who might click on a link and thus be vulnerable.

Denise
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift....that's why they call it "the present".
(Quote from the movie "Kung Fu Panda")

#33 noxcuse

noxcuse

Board Co-Founder

• Admin
  • 2,331 posts
  • Interests:Medical, helping others, fishing, boating, my family, video gaming.

Posted 18 June 2007 - 08:22 AM

I am not quite sure what you are seeing but any "paperclips" you see mean usually there is an attachments involved/ So if I was you, unless I was 100% sure, DO NOT be clicking on any paperclips :common076[1]: .
"Bad things triumphant, when good people do nothing at all"

"Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it." -Buddha
"So often times it happens, that we live ours life's in chains, and we never even knew we held the key" The Eagles
"There is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it" Alfred Hitchcock

"We have enough religion to make us hate one another, but not enough to make us love each other" Jonathan Swift

"My heart is ruled by Venus, my head by Mars" Phil Lynott

#34 ireneo

ireneo

Titanium member

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 10:08 AM

The paper clip looking things are not in any particular message; they're on the main page (?) where all the categories are listed. Some are plain subject titles, some say pinned, some have paper clip thingies. I understand the red and blue folders/suitcases to the left for regular and hot topics. Just wondered what the other things mean.

I see two more strangers in our midst this morning. Again, it's on the misc. board. I don't click on them at all. If they're legitimate newcomers, then I'm sorry they're being ignored but I'll wait till someone else "talks" to them.

#35 Denisefh

Denisefh

• Super Moderator
  • 6,048 posts
  • Interests:Birding, my family especially my two grandsons, RPG video games, reading.

Posted 18 June 2007 - 10:27 AM

The topics I've seen those little paper clips on don't have any attachments that I've ever noticed (doesn't mean they're not there, lol).
I've just decided to ignore them.
I'm glad someone else kinda questions them, though, I was always afraid to ask!
Denise
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift....that's why they call it "the present".

#36 Gordspen

Gordspen

Titanium member

• Members
  • 997 posts
  • Interests:Playing guitar and key boards and I love music of any most types. Enjoy writing and debates.

Posted 18 June 2007 - 10:21 PM

Let me just get myself a cuppa of tea and sit a while so I can digest all of this.......................................

Gilbert I have to ask you, how do you manage to cook without the use of onions or garlic, I mean they are such important ingredients, I think you should sue personally. I don't take sugar these days so I don't miss that but onions especially is a different matter for me.

Here is a trick I learned from my lovely mum when making Mash potato. Make sure you choose a good potato that mashes well, then mash it together with butter or margarine, I like that bartello (I think that is what it is called it is made using olive oil) then for the pies-ta resistance add one large egg mashing well into the potato, otherwise it will scramble. Salt and pepper to taste (I always season my spuds while boiling). The end result is delicious and to die for.

Wow I think I will have a second cuppa of tea while I am here. :signs007[1]:

Has anybody heard any news about Chaz or Teri lately, any updates at all.

God bless
We the willing, following the unknowing are doing the impossible. We have done so much for so long with so little that we are now able to do anything with nothing

At my age I do what Mark Twain did. I get my daily paper, look at the obituaries page and if I'm not there I carry on as usual.

Money couldn't buy you friends, but you get a better class of enemy

#37 gschmitt

gschmitt

Heart and Cardiovascular Disease Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 2,393 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, gardening, woodworking, Genealogy. Ballroom dancing. Putting on my lederhosen and going to area German festivals.

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:10 AM

Ireneo, There are two types of butter milk. The cultured butter milk which you find in the markets has been made with probiotic bateria similar to yogurt. This is what I like to use and drink. The real butter milk is the milk left from churning butter. This I drank whenever mom made butter or I was at a house up the road when the lady there made butter. The taste is not that much different from regular milk but I would guess that it's probably low fat since the butter has been churned. I guess us kids drank that because it was something different. I've still got mom's Daisy churn and will make butter with my grand kids someday.

Jerry, onion and garlic used to be more of side dishes here than add on. caramelized onion was on the plates a couple times a week and there was usually roasted garlic to be found in the fridge and several bulbs in the pantry. I still use onion and garlic when possible for Adele but have to leave it out for me. Adele uses a lot of garlic powder though and the smell is really enticing. By now I don't miss either flavor in cooking for myself and have to be careful when dining out. Other flavorings and spices work well in place of the Allium family and only a few items I have had problems with...well, no more leek and potatoe soup.

Cooking for Adele is a bit tricky too. She is allergic to wheat so all of the baking for her is done with the Bob's Red Mill wheat free biscuit mix. For a thickening agent I just use potatoe starch instead of corn starch. No difference there in the action and we avoid another corn product.

Adele's son-in-law-to-be is the executive chef and manager of the kosher dining hall at Cornell University and a graduate of the American Culinary Institute in Maine. This is the only certified kosher dining hall in the country. I'll be sure to shadow him for the week we are there starting next Sunday.

I do my mashed potatoes about the same way but without the eggs and I season during the mash. I use strickly Yukon Gold potatoes for mashed because I think they have the best taste and mash well without being grainy. I also use unsalted butter or Smart Balance and condensed whole milk.

A decent instant mashed potatoe can also be made using the proper ingredients. First use a top grade product. Betty Crocker potatoe buds I think are best because they are 100% potatoe and no other additives. Check the boxes and get one with 100% potatoe. Then use a brand name chicken broth such as Swanson's instead of the water, condensed milk and a ton of butter.
Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we're
here we should dance.

In heaven there is no beer
That's why we're drinking it here
And when we're gone from here
All our friends will be drinking all our beer.

Let the Gemutlichkeit roll on. Ein Prosit.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

Aerobics are for those who don't polka.

#38 Gordspen

Gordspen

Titanium member

• Members
  • 997 posts
  • Interests:Playing guitar and key boards and I love music of any most types. Enjoy writing and debates.

Posted 19 June 2007 - 01:49 PM

Sounds good Gilbert, here am I sipping my hot tea holding a digestive, well I have just dunked it in my tea actually. It was me by the way, not Jerry asking about getting use to not cooking with onion and garlic. I love onions I just adore them and sometimes will make myself an onion butty using raw onion. The bread we have here in the UK is different from that used in the States, your white bread is quite sweet whereas we don't use sugar in our bread, or whatever it is that makes the bread in the US so sweet.. I love onion in almost everything I eat, when I think about it.

One thing I really don't like, is powdered potato, yuk how anyone can eat that I will never know, nothing beats the real thing especially if you have grown them in your own garden or allotment.

Kevin I tried to listen once again the that McCartney album and I gotta tell you it has to definitely go to the back of the cupboard, no way I could put it on my top favourite list to listen too.

Oh well guess I better go and put the kettle on, Michelle is calling for her brew. :signs046[1]: :signs007[1]:

Attached Files

We the willing, following the unknowing are doing the impossible. We have done so much for so long with so little that we are now able to do anything with nothing

At my age I do what Mark Twain did. I get my daily paper, look at the obituaries page and if I'm not there I carry on as usual.

#39 Denisefh

Denisefh

• Super Moderator
  • 6,048 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 02:45 PM

I love potato buds, especially Betty Crocker. If whole milk is used and the proper ratio of liquid to potato is used, one can hardly tell them from the real thing (except for no lumps).
Gordon these aren't powedered, but tiny chunks of potatoes.
I cannot cook and fix mashed potatoes from real potatoes, so this is the only way we can get them.
By the way, a good gravy mix (which we love on justa bout everything) is Hain Vegetarian Brown Gravy Mix. It's fat free, all natural but has 260mg sodium per serving. It's somewhat hard to find, is mostly in health food/organic type grocery stores.
Denise

#40 ireneo

ireneo

Titanium member

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:21 PM

Ah, potatoes - my idea of comfort food. I use Yukon Golds too. Nice color, flavor and texture. Fake potatoes? If I have to use them at all I have a friend that's able to get me a gallon box of Potato Pearls. They're used in the food industry (restaurants and such). They're similar to Potato Buds but very different in taste. They have a distinct buttery flavor so I don't have to add any and increase fat content.

Bob's Red Mill for us too. We have a Bob's Red Mill store here, looks like a big red barn. So fun to browse through all the goodies and see the huge mill stones at work. Plus they have some things cooked up. Veggie rolls are great - full of tomatoes and peppers and onions. We also like the yellow grits instead of the white. More flavor. Good thing I had dinner already or I'd be cruising the kitchen.

#41 Gordspen

Gordspen

Titanium member

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 05:22 AM

I can only think you must use the wrong type of potatoes if you are getting lumps in your mash when using real potatoes Denise. I have never had lumps in my mash potatoes they taste just glorious and with Liver and onions and lashings of onion gravy, Oh boy I can taste it now.

I am funny about sausage they are a strange thing to buy, sometimes they taste just perfect other times they taste awful. There is never any consistency when it comes to sausage. When I was a child and food rashioning was still around, we used to get what they now call bread sausage and I loved them, they always tasted the same and that is what I liked about them. They were made using cereal grain back fat and some kind of colouring, but for me they always hit the right note.

I have noted though that if you buy organic meat it tastes good, while meat from the supermarket is somewhat tough and tasteless for me. Michelle loves lamb but again I like meat that has been hung, while Michelle will only buy and use meat by the sell by date. Meat that has been hung is tender and tasty. I have got myself into roast veg especially Yam (sweet potato) and other odd veg from abroad. But my all time favourite veg is cabbage, I just love the stuff and can eat it until it comes out of my ears. I like to roast pork ribs in butter and loads of black pepper, some white pepper and salt and serve it on a bed of cooked cabbage with a knob of butter.

I think I will just put the kettle on again folks, talking about food is making me so hungry. God bless.

Attached Files

#42 Bernard and Pam

Bernard and Pam

Silver member

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:driving my shetland x welsh pony looking after my grand daughter morgan 17 monthes old she keeps me and pam on our toes, reading and my wife who is fantastic to put up with me, and all my tankie friends

Posted 20 June 2007 - 04:56 PM

gordon there is nothing nicer than sausage and mash and lashings of lovely onion gravy ........ delicious.
now where did i put my biscuits. goodnight all time for bed after this cuppa. god bless

#43 gschmitt

gschmitt

Heart and Cardiovascular Disease Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 2,393 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, gardening, woodworking, Genealogy. Ballroom dancing. Putting on my lederhosen and going to area German festivals.

Posted 20 June 2007 - 07:22 PM

Ah, yes Gordon. If you're not having mashed potatoes with liver and onions then fix something else. I still use onion for this dish but Adele eats them and not me. I'll make the gravy from the pan scrapings so that liver flavor is still there and I'll just take what comes to me from the onion flavor in the gravy. Sometime it's worth the suffer.

When I was younger up into the early 70s there was an item that could be found in the store called liver ring. It was available in the smaller markets that had a butcher. It was just a ring of a liver sausage that had an old heritage in the area. It was usually sliced cold and put on crackers maybe with a dab of yellow mustard. I used to heat some in a skillet for breakfast along with scrambled eggs. The liver ring fell completely apart when fried in a dry skillet so it would mix well on a fork full of scrambled eggs. One of my sin dishes along with scrambled eggs and beef brains.
Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we're
here we should dance.

In heaven there is no beer
That's why we're drinking it here
And when we're gone from here
All our friends will be drinking all our beer.

Let the Gemutlichkeit roll on. Ein Prosit.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

Aerobics are for those who don't polka.

#44 Gordspen

Gordspen

Titanium member

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:37 PM

That's the way Gilbert that is exactly how I make my onion gravy and it is something else I just love it. The liver sausage is something that Michelle eats and of course she loves it, I am funny though sometimes where food is concerned, because I have to like how it looks as well as how good it tastes. I love liver pate which I spread on toast especially the chicken liver pate or duck. Another food I really enjoy is what we here call lambs fries, I usually have it as a treat because these days the butchers don't seem to have them up for sale anymore and I have to ask him if I want them and order them for the week after, but because there are not many people who ask for them any more they have become unpopular. Lambs fries go well with bacon and eggs of any kind, you just fry them in butter until the look golden and serve with you bacon and eggs, they literally melt in you mouth and they are so beautiful and tasty, I can't for the life of me understand why we no longer see them on our menus or at our local butchers. Lambs fries are lambs testicles, I also like Bulls testicles as well but Michelle won't even look at these sweat breads never mind cook them or taste them. I did once cook some and put them on her plate and she loved them asking me what they were, after I informed her, she never spoke to me again that night and refuses to ever eat them again. I love Ox heart, and Lambs hearts which I stuff, but Michelle will not eat them so they are now a part of Millie's diet, strange people, I love most offal but again Michelle is funny. I also like meat that has been hung but again Michelle won't eat it unless she knows and sees a sell by date from the Supermarket and that meat I don't enjoy, it is always tough and tasteless.

When I was a kid I used to go to the chippie and ask if he would let me have the bits that fall off the battered fish when he takes it out of the frier and puts it in the warmer were these bits accumulate. Each day the owner would let me have them free, and they were delicious.

Well Gilbert time for a brew for me, God bless.

Attached Files

#45 cowboy

cowboy

Gold member

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 07:56 AM

I'm sure they are not heart-healthy, but the instant taters I like is Ore-Ida. They come in envelopes flavored variously, and are very quick to whip up.