Tofu Scramble Burritos with Beans and Soy Chorizo
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/3 cup red salsa
- 1 tsp. taco seasoning
- 1 cup frozen potatoes or hash browns
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained
- 240 grams. pkg. soy chorizo
- 1 block firm tofu, drained and crumbled into bite-sized pieces
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup vegan cheese shreds (optional)
- 4 large wheat tortillas
- 1/4 cup Vegenaise (Eggless Mayonnaise)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add the brown rice, reduce the heat, and let simmer, covered, for 45 minutes. Then let the rice sit, covered, for another 15 minutes. (Or cook the brown rice in a rice cooker with 2 cups of water.)
- Stir the salsa and ½ teaspoonful taco seasoning into the cooked rice.
- Bake the frozen potatoes in the oven until cooked through (about 15 minutes).
- Place the beans in a small pot and cook on the stovetop over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Heat the soy chorizo in a small frying pan for 5 minutes. Add water as needed to prevent sticking.
- Oil another frying pan and cook the tofu over medium heat. Add the nutritional yeast, turmeric, remaining ½ teaspoonful taco seasoning, and salt and pepper. Simmer until the tofu is warm and excess liquid has evaporated. (Optional: Add the vegan cheese shreds and simmer until melted.)
- Warm the tortillas in the oven or microwave, if desired. Layer ½ cup cooked rice, ¼ cup black beans, ¼ cup soy chorizo, ¼ cup potatoes, and ½ cup tofu scramble on each tortilla, roll into a burrito, and drizzle with 1 tablespoonful Vegenaise.
Makes 4 servings