Vegan Rice Bowl with Harissa Tahini Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup of brown rice, dry
- 1½ cups edamame, shelled
- 1 white onion
- 1 cup red cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups riced cauliflower
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 avocado
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 4 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
1. Cook rice according to package directions, omitting any additional butter and salt.
2. Blend sauce ingredients in a small blender. Set aside.
3. While the rice cooks, chop the onion, cabbage, and any other vegetables that did not come pre-chopped/shredded.
4. Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until they start to soften. Add carrots and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes.
5. Mix cauliflower in with the rice when it’s done cooking. Add them both to the pan/wok with your vegetables. Add shredded cabbage and edamame.
6. Add half of your sauce to your vegetable/rice mixture and stir well to distribute evenly.
7. Divide the meal among 4 bowls. Top each with the remaining sauce and sliced avocado.
Ingredient Variations and Substitutions
If you can't find riced cauliflower, you can pulse fresh cauliflower florets in the food processor until they reach a rice-like consistency.
Most of the vegetables can be swapped based on what you have in the fridge. For example, spinach instead of cabbage or zucchini instead of onion.
Peanut or almond butter can be used in place of tahini for a slightly nuttier taste.