Sweet and Tangy Maple-Roasted Root Vegetables
- 3 medium carrots, peeled (about 250 grams)
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled (about 250 grams)
- 1 medium sweet potato, washed, skin on (about 250 grams)
- 1 tablespoon garlic-infused olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons 100% pure maple syrup
- 7 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 220 °C. Spray 2 large baking sheets with baking spray or coat with oil.
- Cut each vegetable into 3.8cm x 1.3cm thick pieces. Cutting vegetables into uniformly-sized pieces ensures they will cook at the same rate.
- Place vegetables in piles in the centre of each baking sheet. Drizzle with garlic-infused oil and toss to coat. Sprinkle with thyme, salt, and pepper and toss again. Spread vegetables in a single layer on baking sheets. Place in the middle of the oven and roast until vegetables are a deep golden brown on the bottom, 20 to 25 minutes.
- While vegetables are roasting, combine maple syrup and balsamic vinegar in a small bowl.
- Remove pan from oven and drizzle maple vinegar mixture evenly over vegetables, then turn pieces over to coat. Turn vegetable pieces so that an un-browned side is face down on the pan.
- Return the pan to the oven and roast until the mixture is bubbling and mostly reduced, 5 minutes. Stir vegetable pieces to coat with the syrup mixture. Remove any pieces that appear in danger of burning and return the rest to the oven to roast until mixture is dry, 3 to 4 additional minutes.
- Remove vegetables from the pan while still quite warm, as they can stick somewhat when cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts Servings: 4 (1 cup each) Amount per serving Calories 197 % Daily Value* Total Fat 4g 5% Saturated Fat 1g 5% Cholesterol 0mg 0% Sodium 138mg 6% Total Carbohydrate 40g 15%
Dietary Fibre 7g 25% Total Sugars 17g Includes 6g Added Sugars 12% Protein 3g Vitamin D 0mcg 0% Calcium 86mg 7% Iron 1mg 6% Potassium 731mg 16%
*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily