Neil Armstrong Remembered

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 noxcuse

noxcuse

Board Co-Founder

• Admin
  • 2,331 posts
  • Interests:Medical, helping others, fishing, boating, my family, video gaming.

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:01 PM

Top NASA officials, fellow astronauts, relatives and others paid a final tribute to Neil Armstrong, the first man on the moon, in a somber memorial Thursday at the Washington National Cathedral.
The service opened with bagpipers, who led Armstrong's relatives in a procession through the packed church, followed by a US Navy honor guard for Armstrong, who was a Navy pilot before joining the space program.
A recording of an excerpt of then-president John F. Kennedy's famous speech, given 50 years ago Wednesday, reminded mourners that the US pledged to go to the moon and commit to other accomplishments to win the Cold War space race "not because they are easy, but because they are hard."
Armstrong took the "first small step on a world beyond our own, but it was the courage, grace and humility he displayed throughout his life that lifted him above the stars," NASA chief Charles Bolden said of the astronaut, who died on August 25 at the age of 82.
"America's leadership in space, and the confidence we can go farther into the unknown, rests with the achievements of Neil and the brave men with which he served," he continued.
"No one, but no one, could have accepted the responsibility of his remarkable accomplishment with more dignity and more grace than Neil Armstrong," said Eugene Cernan, the last man to walk on the moon.
Cernan, who called Armstrong a good friend, said the Ohio native never wanted to own the accomplishment.
"It was never about Neil -- it was about you, your mothers and fathers, your grandparents, about those of a generation ago who gave Neil the opportunity to call the moon his home," he said.
The grainy black-and-white broadcast of Armstrong's July 20, 1969 moon walk was seen by an estimated half a billion people.
"That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind," they heard Armstrong say, though he later claimed that an "a" before the word "man" had been lost in transmission.
Armstrong, who grew up in rural Ohio, was decorated by 17 countries and received a slew of US honors, but was never comfortable with his fame and shied away from the limelight.
The public memorial came two weeks after a small, invitation-only funeral, held on August 31, that reflected Armstrong's intensely private nature.
The Apollo 11 commander, who died of complications from cardiovascular surgery, will be buried at sea.

Attached Files

• gschmitt likes this
"Bad things triumphant, when good people do nothing at all"

"Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it." -Buddha
"So often times it happens, that we live ours life's in chains, and we never even knew we held the key" The Eagles
"There is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it" Alfred Hitchcock

"We have enough religion to make us hate one another, but not enough to make us love each other" Jonathan Swift

"My heart is ruled by Venus, my head by Mars" Phil Lynott

#2 gschmitt

gschmitt

Heart and Cardiovascular Disease Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 2,393 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, gardening, woodworking, Genealogy. Ballroom dancing. Putting on my lederhosen and going to area German festivals.

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:17 AM

I remember watching on TV the moon landing and hearing spoken words from the moon. My stepfather also watched the show and as I think of his time where he also saw the first airplane land and take off in Evansville I can only be awed by what some have seen in their lifetimes.
Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we're
here we should dance.

In heaven there is no beer
That's why we're drinking it here
And when we're gone from here
All our friends will be drinking all our beer.

Let the Gemutlichkeit roll on. Ein Prosit.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

Aerobics are for those who don't polka.