Good Morning

• Please log in to reply
529 replies to this topic

#31 gschmitt

gschmitt

Heart and Cardiovascular Disease Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 2,393 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, gardening, woodworking, Genealogy. Ballroom dancing. Putting on my lederhosen and going to area German festivals.

Posted 24 January 2007 - 06:37 PM

Well, the big snow fizzled out and we just got some rain last weekend. Not to worry though because there is another snow forcast for this weekend. I'll believe it when I see it. We haven't had any measureable snow this winter yet. In fact we haven't had any weather cold enough for snow this winter. Our average is for between 14 and 15 inches of snow yearly and the last no snow year was around 1920. So far this week there have been some flurries but nothing to see other than some flakes flying around.
Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we're
here we should dance.

In heaven there is no beer
That's why we're drinking it here
And when we're gone from here
All our friends will be drinking all our beer.

Let the Gemutlichkeit roll on. Ein Prosit.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

Aerobics are for those who don't polka.

#32 vickimikeus

vickimikeus

Titanium member

• Members
  • 890 posts
  • Interests:I love studying the bible. I am a mother of 3 :ages 18,16,15 I have been married to a truly wonderful man for 17 years. I recently started selling Pampered Chef cookware which is a fun activity for me.

Posted 24 January 2007 - 08:53 PM

Same here. I was so hoping for some pretty snow last weekend but it fizzled. We got some sleet which melted off the next day. I would really like to see some snow.

#33 Denisefh

Denisefh

Family Members and Caregivers Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 6,048 posts
  • Interests:Birding, my family especially my two grandsons, RPG video games, reading.

Posted 25 January 2007 - 01:12 PM

We finally got rid of our snow, thank heavens.
The following link is to a video of a recent fire that my daughter was working at. She is shown on the video, about or a little more than halfway through the clip, and is the single firefighter entering the building carrying a hose.
It totally frightens me to see pics of her like this, but she loves the job. I can't believe that my slender child is the strong looking person in that video! She said they had to break down doors in the complex with their axes to make sure no one had moved back in after the original fire (she was off the day of the first fire). She was excited to actually "be doing something instead of being the engine standing by" which is what the county gets a lot of the time at fire scenes.
Click on the "watch the story" video link below the top photograph.
http://www.komotv.co...al/5334191.html
Denise
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift....that's why they call it "the present".
(Quote from the movie "Kung Fu Panda")

#34 gschmitt

gschmitt

• Super Moderator
  • 2,393 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, gardening, woodworking, Genealogy. Ballroom dancing. Putting on my lederhosen and going to area German festivals.

Posted 26 January 2007 - 05:29 PM

Denise,

Like your daughter I know the feeling and rush you get when hosing into a hot one, and apartment building can be nasty. I'm sure that like myself your daughter always keeps a bit of fear along for the ride and that is what makes for carefulness rather than carelessness. Although training is set up to be as real as possible you always set training up to your advantage and it can never replace the experience you get on a real job. St. Florian be with us.
here we should dance.

#35 Denisefh

Denisefh

• Super Moderator
  • 6,048 posts
  • Interests:Birding, my family especially my two grandsons, RPG video games, reading.

Posted 28 January 2007 - 11:25 AM

Gilbert,
I respect, admire and thank you and all the other firefighters who have placed or are now placing their lives on the line for all of us.
Denise
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift....that's why they call it "the present".

#36 gschmitt

gschmitt

• Super Moderator
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 07:21 PM

Denise,

Balsamic is great on the avocado sandwich. I've been mixing it in when I mash them. The season must be going good as the ones from Chile are less than a dollar each here right now. That's is to compare the ones from Calafornia that are running two fifty each. I've been eating two or three a week but Adele is going strong at up to three a day.

I've been fixing a stir fry once or twice a month now the we both really like. It's a bit on the expensive side since I've been using fresh veggies and organic wild rice from the health food stores. That is the only place local that I can find 100% wild rice without other types mixed in. I've been keeping it with Chinese style veggies so I finish it with some of the Chinese sauces available. The sauces are the main reason not to have it frequently because of those contents. We still go to the Mongolian BBQ here in town a couple times a month instead of the regular Chinese places. This is the healthy was to go Chinese if you like that type of food though it is completely different from regular Chinese cooking.
here we should dance.

#37 Denisefh

Denisefh

• Super Moderator
  • 6,048 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:56 PM

I'm glad the balsamic is working out, you've got me craving avocado now! We used to go to a Mongolian place, where you pick out the ingredients and they stir fry it while you watch, but since we've stopped eating beef we don't go anymore. Bob makes a mean stirfry but he can only use a tiny amount of stirfry sauce, though, because while I love it's flavour there's some ingredient that my stomach doesn't like.

#38 gschmitt

gschmitt

• Super Moderator
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:26 PM

Our Mongolian place is Charlie's Mongolian BBQ. Charlie was born in China and runs the place and cooks also most of the time. He speaks seven languages and is a real character at the wok or table. He assured us before that he does not use MSG and there is no seasoning until you pick it out just before it's cooked. You can have a complete veggie dinner or add beef, chicken, pork, salmon, shrimp, scallops or crab, either or all. I don't think it's right without the hot chili sauce but one scoop is all I want of that stuff. Charlie will always ask if you want one tear or two and I've seen people take three. If you take more than two tears then Charlie will always bring extra napkins to the table for you to dry your eyes.
here we should dance.

#39 noxcuse

noxcuse

Board Co-Founder

• Admin
  • 2,330 posts
  • Interests:Medical, helping others, fishing, boating, my family, video gaming.

Posted 02 February 2007 - 09:34 AM

Holy Tornado's :omg: ! Woke up this morning and all heck had broken loose. Trees down, houses smashed to bits :action-smiley-077: , power outage's. But we are ok. Our power is back on. And the tornado's jump us. But good grief, looks like a bomb went off. But others did not make it and still search and rescue going on. I will report back in a little later
"Bad things triumphant, when good people do nothing at all"

"Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it." -Buddha
"So often times it happens, that we live ours life's in chains, and we never even knew we held the key" The Eagles
"There is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it" Alfred Hitchcock

"We have enough religion to make us hate one another, but not enough to make us love each other" Jonathan Swift

"My heart is ruled by Venus, my head by Mars" Phil Lynott

#40 ttmag

ttmag

Titanium member

• Members
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 09:59 AM

Holy Tornado's :omg: ! Woke up this morning and all heck had broken loose. Trees down, houses smashed to bits :action-smiley-077: , power outage's. But we are ok. Our power is back on. And the tornado's jump us. But good grief, looks like a bomb went off. But others did not make it and still search and rescue going on. I will report back in a little later

Thank the Lord Jerry!! I tried to call a few minutes ago. Mom called me and told me I needed to check on you guys. I hear there is another one on the ground again right now. Praying! tt
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart,and lean not unto your own understanding. In all your ways,acknowledge Him,and He will direct your path." Proverbs 3:5-6

#41 vickimikeus

vickimikeus

Titanium member

• Members
  • 890 posts
  • Interests:I love studying the bible. I am a mother of 3 :ages 18,16,15 I have been married to a truly wonderful man for 17 years. I recently started selling Pampered Chef cookware which is a fun activity for me.

Posted 02 February 2007 - 01:22 PM

Glad you can check in. I will keep you and all in your area in my prayers. Those tornadoes are not fun to deal with. Stay safe!

Vicki

#42 noxcuse

noxcuse

Board Co-Founder

• Admin
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 04:58 PM

Thanks all for your thoughts and prayers. We have all out things intact. We were very lucky considering what happened to others. We are offering to see where we can help others that were not as fortunate. We are in Volusia County so I am sure you will see some of the stuff on the news. God Bless you all :common076[1]:

"Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it." -Buddha
"So often times it happens, that we live ours life's in chains, and we never even knew we held the key" The Eagles
"There is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it" Alfred Hitchcock

"We have enough religion to make us hate one another, but not enough to make us love each other" Jonathan Swift

#43 Denisefh

Denisefh

• Super Moderator
  • 6,048 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 05:51 PM

Thank heavens you're okay. I just heard about the tornadoes and was worried sick...about you and everyone else here that lives in Florida, hope they made it through also.
Denise

#44 noxcuse

noxcuse

Board Co-Founder

• Admin
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 08:40 PM

Thanks Denise. You cannot help but feel awful for alot of these people left with nothing. I mean the reality of it is, in the blink of an eye everything can change. Thank you all though for your thoughts and if you could please say a prayer for those that are really down and out on there luck tonight.

#45 heartangel

heartangel

General Discussion Moderator

• Members
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 06:55 PM

I am somewhat back did a system reformat and still ading things back in. we are on call if we have to go down soug=th tohelp but this week DH has two dr apts is all i am saying here if yuo want to nowmore e-mail and I will tell you in an e-mail what is happening to Dh is all. But I am holding up ok shedding alot fotears and geting camel knees for these people down south we had a liuve audio feed Tues at EOC and so heartbreaking too bt I love our new Gov too . so lets still keep them in our prayers they will need it for years to come. heidi
1.Take care of yourself
2.Take care of others
3. Take care of yourself
Mr.Craig Fulgate Head of EOC in FL. :)