A place to talk about our bloodwork

• Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

#211 gschmitt

gschmitt

Heart and Cardiovascular Disease Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 2,393 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, gardening, woodworking, Genealogy. Ballroom dancing. Putting on my lederhosen and going to area German festivals.

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:32 PM

Keep at it Ricky. It took me a while to get my numbers where the docs wanted them.
Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we're
here we should dance.

In heaven there is no beer
That's why we're drinking it here
And when we're gone from here
All our friends will be drinking all our beer.

Let the Gemutlichkeit roll on. Ein Prosit.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

Aerobics are for those who don't polka.

#212 Shakabreeze

Shakabreeze

Titanium member

• Members
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 02:04 PM

Stay tuned........Friday I get bloodwork done. I will know more next week.
Shaka is a Hawaiian offering, a fist in the air with the pinkie and thumb out waving back and forth at the wrist. Symbol of good will, good things, a positive strength and hope for the good in life. Breeze comes from ocean breeze: also positive, empowering, enveloping, enriching, relaxing and, above all, comforting.

#213 RickyB

RickyB

Titanium member

• Super Moderator
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:my granddaughter Ayla Jean grandson Chase Tyler.grandson Julian Thomas greatest wife in the world Debbi.Genealogy

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:33 PM

Keep at it Ricky. It took me a while to get my numbers where the docs wanted them.

I've only been working on it for 10 years :scratchchin:
Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?
RickyB

#214 Denisefh

Denisefh

Family Members and Caregivers Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 6,048 posts
  • Interests:Birding, my family especially my two grandsons, RPG video games, reading.

Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:18 PM

Good luck, Shaka! Let us know...
Denise
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift....that's why they call it "the present".
(Quote from the movie "Kung Fu Panda")

#215 noxcuse

noxcuse

Board Co-Founder

• Admin
  • 2,331 posts
  • Interests:Medical, helping others, fishing, boating, my family, video gaming.

Posted 13 June 2008 - 11:34 AM

Is on standby for good result's. :common076[1]:
"Bad things triumphant, when good people do nothing at all"

"Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it." -Buddha
"So often times it happens, that we live ours life's in chains, and we never even knew we held the key" The Eagles
"There is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it" Alfred Hitchcock

"We have enough religion to make us hate one another, but not enough to make us love each other" Jonathan Swift

"My heart is ruled by Venus, my head by Mars" Phil Lynott

#216 Shakabreeze

Shakabreeze

Titanium member

• Members
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 02:26 PM

I went to my PCP yesterday to get the word on my quarterly bloodwork. My bp has generally been down and I had decreased my lisonopril... perhaps too much. Yesterday it was 140/70....70 works but... so back up a little on that. I can not remember my numbers but my sugars, A1C are down, my HDL is down too...need to exercise a bit more I suppose but I have been going to the gym. My LDL is down as are my triglyserides (sp?) quite a bit too. My cholesterol is up a tad. He has increased my meds for the cholesteral. Overall not too bad .. but it gives me more areas to focus on.
Shaka is a Hawaiian offering, a fist in the air with the pinkie and thumb out waving back and forth at the wrist. Symbol of good will, good things, a positive strength and hope for the good in life. Breeze comes from ocean breeze: also positive, empowering, enveloping, enriching, relaxing and, above all, comforting.

#217 islandmomma

islandmomma

Titanium member

• Members
  • 985 posts
  • Interests:people, travel, VIDEO and COMPUTER GAMES (shhhh...what an admission LOL!)

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:57 AM

Well, that is the way to do it, Shaka. I think I have not been as zealous as I used to be and need a smack upside my head to smarten me up LOL!

You know, when I convert these numbers in to your system, they do not sound so bad...really just into the risk range, I think.... Maybe this doc is just a fanatic...?

In 'American', my numbers are: total cholesterol 186.9, LDL 57.6, HDL 62.3, and trigycerides 147 (well, that was has gone up a lot since last year). What was flooring me was the number of flags in the three page print-out. Seems I have all kinds of odd things like elevated white blood count, leukocytes and I am spilling protein again (that has been intermittent throughout my life but always scares the docs LOL). My thyroid function is also down again so, for the second time this year, up goes that dose as well...:(

But the big thing is the sugar all over the place....despite a borderline OK A1C, I guess I am a mess even when fasting....wondered why my piddle was bubbly....duh. And yes, this doc blames my coke for a lot of it....I hate sugar-free pop and aspartame nastiness..... Yesterday I bought the new zero calorie coke....wish me luck LOL. I will try it. I did not dare tell her how much milk I drink....:(.

jan

If you find a path without obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere...

Be who you are and say what you feel...

Because those that matter... don't mind...

And those that mind... don't matter.

Unknown

I CAN'T BE LOST BECAUSE I DON'T CARE WHERE I AM GOING!!
by jan

#218 gschmitt

gschmitt

Heart and Cardiovascular Disease Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 2,393 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, gardening, woodworking, Genealogy. Ballroom dancing. Putting on my lederhosen and going to area German festivals.

Posted 19 June 2008 - 05:20 PM

Looks like most of the stuff that needs to come down has done that Shaka so you are one the right track about some of them. I usually have the same problem with my HDL as it tends to go down with everything and not up. I've checked on a lot of foods that help lower cholesterol and that has seemed to help me some along with the meds.

Jan, I can't have any artificial sweetener as they make me very sick. I finally figured that out after using them for a few years and being sick most of the time. Just a pulled down sick in the stomach feeling. So now my sweetening agent is sugar, honey, sorghum and other real and natural stuff. Figuring that into the diet is a full time job though but I've accustomed myself to liking less sweet foods and drinks. A couple Pepsi's or the local Double Cola a week take care of sugar cravings and staying away from corn syrup helps with the control.
Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we're
here we should dance.

In heaven there is no beer
That's why we're drinking it here
And when we're gone from here
All our friends will be drinking all our beer.

Let the Gemutlichkeit roll on. Ein Prosit.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

Aerobics are for those who don't polka.