THIS IS HOW TO MAKE STEAK FROM PLANTS
- 1 tbsp oil (optional)
- 1 cup finely chopped crimini mushrooms (about 4-5 mushrooms)
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp marsala cooking wine
- ¾ cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp white miso
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp rosemary
- ¼ tsp sage
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 1½ vital wheat gluten
- ⅓ cup chickpea flour
- Heat a pan on medium heat, drizzle oil if using. Add in the chopped mushrooms and onions.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring every once in a while. Monitor the heat so the onions don’t burn.
- Add in the minced garlic, and cook 30-60 seconds.
- Deglaze the pan with the marsala cooking wine.
- Cook off the wine, then turn off the heat and add the cooked mushroom and onion mixture to a blender.
- Add the wet ingredients and the seasonings to the blender.
- Blend on high for 1 minute or until smooth.
- Combine the vital wheat gluten (VWG) and the chickpea flour in a large bowl.
- Add the blended wet ingredients to the dry VWG mixture.
- Mix with a wooden spoon or with your hands.
- Transfer the dough ball to a clean surface and knead a little bit. Add a tiny amount of VWG flour if the dough feels too wet.
- Form a dough ball, slice in half and form 2 steaks.
- Steam each steak for 30-40 minutes
- Than let the steaks rest 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine the glaze ingredients in a small bowl.
- Mix and set aside next to the steaks.
- Heat a skillet on medium heat. (I used a striated cooking pan) Add oil if using.
- Brush the steak(s) with the glaze, when the pan is sizzling hot add the steak(s). Keep brushing the glaze onto the steak(s) and make more as needed.
- Cook both steaks on each side until golden brown.
- Serve with your favourite BBQs sauce. I usually mix hp sauce and ketchup! Or you can make more of the glaze, or even use store bought BBQ sauce or whatever you have on hand!
- Store in the refrigerator covered for up to one week. Freezer friendly.