Vegetarian Herbed Mushroom Bolognese Recipe
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (790 grams) can low-sodium crushed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- 3/4 cup dry lentils
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over low heat. Add onion, garlic, celery, and carrot. Cook, stirring until soft, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and stir.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir. Cover and simmer on low heat 30 minutes, or until lentils are cooked through.
If you won't be using the rest of the bunch of parsley, you may want to opt for buying dried parsley.
Use a tablespoon dried parsley in place of fresh and save the rest for future use.
Use one small can mushrooms, drained and rinsed, in place of fresh if needed.
If your lentils are already cooked, omit the water. Prepping a batch of lentils ahead of time, like at the beginning of the week to use in salads
and in this recipe, can save time and effort on the cooking day.
For a spicy version, add one teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes.Cooking and Serving Tips
Check sauce occasionally and add water as needed as lentils absorb the liquid. Add about two tablespoons at a time.
Serve sauce over whole wheat spaghetti, cooked spaghetti squash, or zucchini noodles.
Nutrition Facts Servings: 8 (1 cup each) Amount per serving Calories 125 % Daily Value* Total Fat 4g 5% Saturated Fat 1g 5% Cholesterol 0mg 0% Sodium 25mg 1% Total Carbohydrate 18g 7% Dietary Fiber 6g 21% Total Sugars 6g Includes 0g Added Sugars 0% Protein 6g Vitamin D 0mcg 0% Calcium 55mg 4% Iron 3mg 17% Potassium 490mg 10% *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet.2,000 calorie a day is used for general nutrition advice.