Site Navigation Help Section

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 noxcuse

noxcuse

Board Co-Founder

• Admin
  • 2,330 posts
  • Interests:Medical, helping others, fishing, boating, my family, video gaming.

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:13 AM

We have quite an active board here and plenty of tools to use! Sometimes it's a bit overwhelming at times! So we thought we'd start this thread to try and assist you along the way. If you have any further questions, please don't ever hesitate to ask one of the other mods, or members here!!

In the upper right hand corner of each page we have a square box called "Community Links". Inside that box are many different sites that you can utilize such as Drug Info, Drug Interactions, etc...

These sites have searches that you can use to find out about med.'s you are taking, or what the new med. the Dr. just prescribed for you is for! In the section called Drug Interactions, you can also put in all the med.'s you are now currently taking to find out what types of interactions may occur when taking all of these at the same time!

If you'd like to find out more about a certain disease or condition that you, or a loved one might have, MedlinePlus and Disease Data Base, etc. are all there for you, too-You can enter the Chat Room there, as well, which is open 7 days a week; 24 hours per day!

At the very top of each page to the left of the "Community Links"-called "My Control Panel" are a number of items that you may use to keep track of what's happening here on the board like the Calendar, which lists all things coming up during a given week, or view your own personal messages (PM's), or send PM's and emails by clicking on "New Messages". My Assistant helps you find all the posts you've missed since your last visit!! If you have an upcoming surgery, or appt. please let us know under "Member Whereabouts", we're all a bunch of worriers and like to keep track of what's going on in our group, so that we don't worry about you too much! Like I mentioned earlier, there are plenty of new, fun, informative and supportive things offered here on HeartBoard!

Please give them all a try, along with all our fun 'Smileys'!

Welcome again to all! from all of us here on HeartBoard!!

"Bad things triumphant, when good people do nothing at all"

"Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it." -Buddha
"So often times it happens, that we live ours life's in chains, and we never even knew we held the key" The Eagles
"There is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it" Alfred Hitchcock

"We have enough religion to make us hate one another, but not enough to make us love each other" Jonathan Swift

"My heart is ruled by Venus, my head by Mars" Phil Lynott

#2 Denisefh

Denisefh

Family Members and Caregivers Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 6,048 posts
  • Interests:Birding, my family especially my two grandsons, RPG video games, reading.

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:23 AM

Thanks, Jerry!
I should know this, but where is the "Member Whereabouts"? Sorry, I guess I should just search for it.
Denise

That just reminded me that there is also a great search engine here, up top in the light blue section where it has chat, etc.

Edited by Denisefh, 28 March 2007 - 09:25 AM.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift....that's why they call it "the present".
(Quote from the movie "Kung Fu Panda")

#3 ireneo

ireneo

Titanium member

• Members
  • 841 posts
  • Interests:Books, working with wildlife, fishing, chocolate!

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:46 AM

Thanks for starting this. I'm so computer stupid and am hesitant to click on too much in case I change something and can't figure out how to change it back. But it would be nice to know how to "fix" a couple of things.
One: some of the lettering near the top by the blue box is covered up by other words. Example: on my screen I see "live chat, help" and then the rest is covered by the box labeled "make a donation." I have no idea what it says under there. In other places I can see the lettering but it's tangled up with other words, kind of overlaid, underlaid. Any way to fix that?
Two: it would be nice to have some way of knowing where the new msgs are. At first I was missing many because I would just click on the lastest post by -----. Now I click on the whole category and scan for new msgs. I found out that some have more than one block of msgs. Am I making any sense? But to click, click, click, takes time. It would be nice to know which have new msgs and which don't. Time to get brave and try the "my assistant" or "my controls."
Three: Out of curiosity - what is that green number at the bottom of the page? It changes. For awhile it was 6118. Now it's 7562.
And I'm still a bit sad :-( that I can't use the smilies to the left. Maybe some computer whiz out there can give me an alternate way to use them.
Life has no meaning except for the impact you have on other people

#4 Denisefh

Denisefh

• Super Moderator
  • 6,048 posts
  • Interests:Birding, my family especially my two grandsons, RPG video games, reading.

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:56 AM

When they changed to this format I had troubles too knowing when/where new posts came up. The IPB box beside the name of the Forum will be dark blue when there's a new post or thread. The posts themselves show as dark blue (or dark red sometimes in the forum)...I don't know what they're called but to me they look like little suitcases, lol. Of course if you haven't read any posts yet and are fairly new to the forum, they ALL are dark blue because you haven't read even the old ones.
One way, I think, to get around this is click down at the bottom "Mark all posts as read" and see if that turns all the dark blue thingys to light blue. Then when you log in each time, the dark blue ones will stand out and you'll know there's a new post (or posts) there. If you click on the new post that's listed by the Forum, then go out and still see a dark blue box, then that means there was another new post that you hadn't read.
Does this make sense? I'm not sure if it's right, lol, I did the click thing on every single old post when all this first started, and it was very time consuming but the only way I could then track new posts. THEN I saw the box that said "Mark all posts as read"...so I haven't used it but that would be my guess.
Also, I think once the site had directions specifically for MAC users, but am not sure of that.
LOL, I don't know if this has been much help, maybe Jerry can clarify and help you with some of your difficulties.
Good luck,
Denise
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift....that's why they call it "the present".

#5 Gordspen

Gordspen

Titanium member

• Members
  • 997 posts
  • Interests:Playing guitar and key boards and I love music of any most types. Enjoy writing and debates.

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:10 AM

Thanks for starting this. I'm so computer stupid and am hesitant to click on too much in case I change something and can't figure out how to change it back. But it would be nice to know how to "fix" a couple of things.
One: some of the lettering near the top by the blue box is covered up by other words. Example: on my screen I see "live chat, help" and then the rest is covered by the box labeled "make a donation." I have no idea what it says under there. In other places I can see the lettering but it's tangled up with other words, kind of overlaid, underlaid. Any way to fix that?
Two: it would be nice to have some way of knowing where the new msgs are. At first I was missing many because I would just click on the lastest post by -----. Now I click on the whole category and scan for new msgs. I found out that some have more than one block of msgs. Am I making any sense? But to click, click, click, takes time. It would be nice to know which have new msgs and which don't. Time to get brave and try the "my assistant" or "my controls."
Three: Out of curiosity - what is that green number at the bottom of the page? It changes. For awhile it was 6118. Now it's 7562.
And I'm still a bit sad :-( that I can't use the smilies to the left. Maybe some computer whiz out there can give me an alternate way to use them.

If you need any help at all just ask one of us old timers ireno and we will be along in no time to help!!!! :common076[1]:
We the willing, following the unknowing are doing the impossible. We have done so much for so long with so little that we are now able to do anything with nothing

At my age I do what Mark Twain did. I get my daily paper, look at the obituaries page and if I'm not there I carry on as usual.

Money couldn't buy you friends, but you get a better class of enemy

#6 islandmomma

islandmomma

Titanium member

• Members
  • 985 posts
  • Interests:people, travel, VIDEO and COMPUTER GAMES (shhhh...what an admission LOL!)

Posted 28 March 2007 - 03:07 PM

This is great, Jerry and thank you!

jan/IM
If you find a path without obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere...

Be who you are and say what you feel...

Because those that matter... don't mind...

And those that mind... don't matter.

Unknown

I CAN'T BE LOST BECAUSE I DON'T CARE WHERE I AM GOING!!
by jan

#7 ireneo

ireneo

Titanium member

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 04:10 PM

I'm losing my marbles. I don't see the spot that says "mark all posts as read." I looked on the main page with all the different categories and I looked around after clicking on a msg to read. Blechh. I did see a thing near the top that says view new messages. I clicked there and it says something about new messages since my last visit. Yippee! I like that. But in order to see that option and click on it I had to change my view from 100% to 120%. That's OK. I don't mind the larger print. And the green number at the bottom of the page changed again. Mysterious. It doesn't look like a date or a time. So I'm putting in a formal request here: Help! Someone explain some of these things to me,,please. And what is Avatar?

#8 Patoolla

Patoolla

Titanium member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  • Interests:Country music and dance, Grandbabes, My dog, Peppy, a Bichon Frise, the internet.

Posted 28 March 2007 - 05:26 PM

Well, I will see if I can answer a couple of you questions ireneo. The green numbers at the bottom of the screen is some kind of counter...usually counting the times the site has been visiting. Maybe someone can verify this for us.

And the avatar is the little picture that you see under the members name, for instance, mine is an angle. If you go to the "control panel" tab you will see the different options available for your profile etc. One option is to "edit your avatar" (don't know why the computer lingo calls it that instead of a picture, teehee). So click on that and it will show you what options are available to post your avatar. I chose uploading one from my computer, but there is one option to pick an avatar from the gallery provided by this site. There are some neat choices there too. Let me know if you need more help on this. Hugs, Pat

#9 Denisefh

Denisefh

• Super Moderator
  • 6,048 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 05:28 PM

Ireneo,
If you ever find your lost marbles, let me know because mine might be there too! (Pretend there's a smilie here, I still feel badly that you can't get them to come up).
The place that lets you mark all posts as read is only on the main (home) page of HeartBoard. Below all the listed forums section, and above that bottom section that says Statistics and says how many people are on the board, etc. Anyway, between those two sections, on the home page, at the right side is the box that gives you two choices. The first is delete all cookies and the second one is Mark All Posts as Read.
An Avatar (I just learned this from this site a couple of years ago) is the tiny picture that shows below your name on every post of yours (like mine is a photo of me and my grandsons). I struggle any time I try to change it, so I can't give you directions on that. I do know that it matters how many piks or bits (I'm gonna look it up) your photo has.
I gotta look for that green number, don't think I've ever seen it but it sounds interesting.
Good luck again,
Denise
Oh, I just saw that bright green number, I've seen it on other websites and I've always guessed that it's the number of times that people have logged on...but this is just a guess.

Edited by Denisefh, 28 March 2007 - 05:49 PM.

#10 Patoolla

Patoolla

Titanium member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  • Interests:Country music and dance, Grandbabes, My dog, Peppy, a Bichon Frise, the internet.

Posted 28 March 2007 - 05:39 PM

LOL Denise, we must've been posting at the same time! I don't know if it is different on some computers but I can't find the "mark as read" anywhere but on the home page.

Ireneo, are you able to see the smilies when others have put them in their posts?

#11 ireneo

ireneo

Titanium member

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:23 PM

Wow, that "view new messages" trick works very well. All the threads pop up ready to read. One click and I'm there.

I'll check the control thing for 'avatar' pictures. Whether they'll work for me is another issue.

Guess I've never been to the home page. I've bookmarked the page that has HeartBoard.CommunityInformation. All the forums are laid out, ready to explore.

I can see the smilies you all add; I just can't add my own except for the top line - the title.

See you tomorrow.

#12 noxcuse

noxcuse

Board Co-Founder

• Admin
  • 2,330 posts
  • Interests:Medical, helping others, fishing, boating, my family, video gaming.

Posted 29 March 2007 - 09:39 AM

Well as a person that has been here since day 1, I still do not know how everything completely works. So please do not feel bad on that. We are lucky too have ALOT of people around here that have a great deal of experience on just about anything you can think of or cannot figure out. And do not be embrassed to ask. I ask what could be considered a silly question every other day. But thats how you learn. The message system works great around here so I personally think everyone should learn how to use that if you have not yet. The green numbers at the bottom is what everyone thought. a counter for internet traffic. Like the odometer on a car it has rolled over a couple of times. It serves several puposes from information for ad things too Google. For those messager and chatters out there. We have a fully operational chat room that works great. I would atleast go log in and check the chat room out so you know how to get in it atleast and even type some stuff so you see how that works, even if its just talking to yourself. :common076[1]:
"Bad things triumphant, when good people do nothing at all"

"Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it." -Buddha
"So often times it happens, that we live ours life's in chains, and we never even knew we held the key" The Eagles
"There is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it" Alfred Hitchcock

"We have enough religion to make us hate one another, but not enough to make us love each other" Jonathan Swift

"My heart is ruled by Venus, my head by Mars" Phil Lynott