Vegan Chocolate Coconut Ice Cream
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Dutch process cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup raw (turbinado) sugar
- 1 400 ml can (about 1 3/4 cup) coconut milk
- 1 400 ml can (about 1 3/4 cup) coconut cream)
- 1/4 cup "light" (clear) corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Scotch, bourbon, or Irish whiskey(optional)
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon kosher salt, to taste
In a medium saucepan whisk together cocoa powder and sugar until well combined, then slowly add coconut milk, whisking constantly, until a thick, lump-free paste forms.
Whisk in remaining coconut milk and add coconut cream and corn syrup, then cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a simmer. Transfer mixture to blender, cover very tightly, and blend for 30 seconds.
(Alternately use immersion blender directly in pot.) Pour into an airtight container, stir in vanilla extract and whiskey, then add salt to taste.
Cover mixture and chill in refrigerator until it is very cold (at least 6 °C or about 4 hours), then churn in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
Transfer to an airtight container and chill in freezer until ice cream is firm enough to scoop, about 5 hours.