30 replies to this topic

#1 claudiaw

claudiaw

Titanium member

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 10:50 AM

Morning everybody,
I am starting my third day on this d*** :angry2: monitor. The tech told me it will only record when I push the button, so I sit here debating whether I'm really feeling a fluttery sensation and whether or not to push the button. :common003[1]: Also, she told me it would record 4 events. So far the most I have recorded is 3 (it usually starts its "full" beeping after 2) before the unit beeps to tell me it is full. Does anybody have any experience with this monitor...and does it really only record when pushed? Your comments will help!
Hugs,
claudia

#2 Teri16

Teri16

Titanium member

• Members
  • 5,172 posts
  • Interests:I'm into my family A LOT :), as you will notice that I mention, or refer to them frequently. :-) I'm a fairly great cook when given wide berth and love to try any and all recipes!Gardening is my main outdoor activity and I have plenty of flowers everywhere, except we do have 2 dogs, Shellie, the Puppy and Sam the Golden Retriever-& they both like to garden as well. : ) Petey & Pookie, my cockatiels are nesting on their first batch of 4 eggs and I'm not sure any will hatch this time, but they are giving it their true best! So along with Swimming, Reading ,Crosswords, crocheting, etc...Hugs, Teri

Posted 20 October 2004 - 10:56 AM

Hi Caudia, see if the following link doesn't help a bit...otherwise, I'm still looking.

Love Ya!! Teri :P

http://www.heartcare...onitors.htm#Top
"Because he is he and I am I"...E.V.Lucas

"I'm so excited and I just can't hide it"... The Pointer Sisters

"You Light up my Life"...Debbie Boone

#3 Teri16

Teri16

Titanium member

• Members
  • 5,172 posts
  • Interests:I'm into my family A LOT :), as you will notice that I mention, or refer to them frequently. :-) I'm a fairly great cook when given wide berth and love to try any and all recipes!Gardening is my main outdoor activity and I have plenty of flowers everywhere, except we do have 2 dogs, Shellie, the Puppy and Sam the Golden Retriever-& they both like to garden as well. : ) Petey & Pookie, my cockatiels are nesting on their first batch of 4 eggs and I'm not sure any will hatch this time, but they are giving it their true best! So along with Swimming, Reading ,Crosswords, crocheting, etc...Hugs, Teri

Posted 20 October 2004 - 11:02 AM

Here's another link, Claudia, that is also informative! :wub:

http://www.heartcare...acification.pdf

#4 heartangel

heartangel

General Discussion Moderator

• Members
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 11:15 AM

Claudia
Myfirend in NY DEB wore one and yes it does record when pushed it turned out she has atrial beats where her heart beats too fast then skips beats causes for her palipations. she also told me she was allergic to the the first leads and they had to replace them. But good luck with this mointer.
Heidi
1.Take care of yourself
2.Take care of others
3. Take care of yourself
Mr.Craig Fulgate Head of EOC in FL. :)

#5 claudiaw

claudiaw

Titanium member

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 12:10 PM

Thanks - Teri - I'll follow those links in aminute here. Heidi - the tech warned me the pads might cause some irritation and to move them around. When i peeled 'em off this morning I had bullseyes where they had been. :P
Hugs, Claudia

#6 claudiaw

claudiaw

Titanium member

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 12:21 PM

I'm back - I just looked at those links. Great info Teri!!! I don't know how the dip switches are set - but that is obviously why I am getting less than 4 events. I wonder if when it gets 2 events it is recording longer because it is detecting something that continues to the limit of the preset time. Guess I'll find out in two weeks. Now I just have to decide whether to push the button or not!!1 :fool:

#7 Denisefh

Denisefh

Family Members and Caregivers Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 6,048 posts
  • Interests:Birding, my family especially my two grandsons, RPG video games, reading.

Posted 20 October 2004 - 04:06 PM

Claudia, I had the King of Hearts and it sounds about the same except I never heard of "dip switches"...and don't have time to check out the neat links that Teri put it.

One thing I did when I was wearing mine and I pushed when I thought I was starting an event but later decided it was a wasted recording because nothing happened...I would hit the recorder another few times to fill it up, then hit the playback button without calling in and then reset it. Like I said, I don't know if your machine is set up the same way...and of course if you already have a valid recording then you wouldn't want to waste it by erasing it this way (I did this only if I messed up on my first recording, or if the first one was insignificant).

I think it only records when you push the button, BUT it records from a set amount of seconds from BEFORE you push it. So, if you have a fluttery feeling and THEN hit the button that feeling will STILL be recorded even though it happened before you hit record because it records (I think it's like 30 seconds or something like that) from before you hit it. That is, if you have the same machine I did.

I hope I explained it sorta clearly enough, my mind isn't working all that well lately.

Good luck!!
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift....that's why they call it "the present".
(Quote from the movie "Kung Fu Panda")

#8 Lil

Lil

Titanium member

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 04:21 PM

Claudia,

I feel the same way!!! Today is day three for me as well. I haven't hit the record button yet on purpose. But that dang thing sure is easy for me to hit by accident! I stood up yesterday and somehow it recorded an event. I know it has an auto record feature so I thought that could have been it but was told when I transmitted this morning, it wasn't an auto recorded event(s).

I am afraid to push the button. I don't want to record something and be told that it's all in my head. I figured if something horrendous (sp? Teri - where's your dictionary?!) happens, it'll record it on it's own.

I did discover something about my monitor this morning that I wish I had been told. It started beeping every minute today WHILE I WAS TEACHING!!! I have third graders...this is not exactly something they need to know about. I shoveled them off to art class and called the number. They told me that whenever it auto records, it will beep every minute until I transmit. YUCK!!! Luckily, the second auto record was btwn lunch and recess so I didn't have any kids around to hear the constant beeping. And I have to wear this stupid thing for a month! Gonna be long month. :blowup: And about the irritation...I had a rash for a week with the dang holter monitor for just 24 hours. This thing's gonna destroy me! :P

I just wanna know one thing...if this thing records something I should worry about, would my doc call me or would they just wait until I see them in six weeks.

Lil
If life gives you lemons, throw them back and demand the oranges you ordered!

#9 claudiaw

claudiaw

Titanium member

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 04:58 PM

Gosh Lil, I would go nuts if mine beeped every minute when full. Mine beeps every 30 minutes when full. If will beep every 30 seconds if the battery gets low. A whole month!!!
Denise - Mine says the same thing about recording for a certain amount of time prior to the button push. Psychic monitors I guess :P
I am pushing the button probably 5 or 6 times a day, and resisting the urge another 3-4 times. If they tell me its all in my head, then so be it. Mine has the playback and reset buttons as well.
I talked to the tech this afternoon about the number of events it is getting and he said it is obviously set for two not four, but we can change it if the doctor says OK. I will probably look up the nurse's name tonight and call her tomorrow about changing the switches. Dip switches are inside the unit and can be moved to different positions to change the configuration of the equipment. I even have the chart that shows the positions, but do not know how to get into the switches without breaking a seal.

#10 Denisefh

Denisefh

• Super Moderator
  • 6,048 posts
  • Interests:Birding, my family especially my two grandsons, RPG video games, reading.

Posted 20 October 2004 - 05:30 PM

Wow Lil, yours is a lot more advanced than the one I wore, mine didn't have any auto record capacity (does that mean it records when it catches an arrhythmia on it's own?).

As to the irritation, my husband gave me some good advice about removing the adhesive circles...he told me to hold the skin, and push the skin away from the circles rather than pull the circles off the skin. If you pull the circles off wrong apparently it separates the top layers of skin and will harm it.

I was really sensitive to the alcohol, too, but I can't remember what I did to get around that.

Claudia, a couple of times I had techs who were really jerks and when I'd call in the events they'd say something like "it's only PVC's, we've seen enough of them, only record when it's something different". Obviously they've never had arrhythmias or they'd know that PVCs don't always feel the same each time, or that PACs sometimes don't feel much different than PVCs. But these techs were not the norm, so be sure to record everything (I had to call mine in several times each day, but I did end up recording 4 different arrhythmias, HAH to those mean techs).

Good luck both of you!

Denise
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift....that's why they call it "the present".

#11 Teri16

Teri16

Titanium member

• Members
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 07:01 PM

I've never had to wear any kind of these monitors, but I wish you all well and success in using them!-perhaps someone who's more of a pro at these things could help Lil out some, have any of you ever heard of wearing one for a month?! Golly, I thought that was a looong time! :blink: Hugs, Teri :P

#12 Patoolla

Patoolla

Titanium member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  • Interests:Country music and dance, Grandbabes, My dog, Peppy, a Bichon Frise, the internet.

Posted 20 October 2004 - 08:14 PM

I was the same way when I wore the 24 hour monitor! I wasn't sure if I should push the event button or not! But with that monitor it was recording all the time, just brought attention to a certain time if the even button was pushed. I didn't have one single irregular heart beat but I had other stuff going on...chest pain, sob, but that was pretty continuous so I would've had to just lay on the button the whole 24 hours!!! lol Anyway, good luck Lil and Claudia for getting an episode recorded! Hope they can tell what kind of arrythmia your having! Hugs, Pat

#13 Denisefh

Denisefh

• Super Moderator
  • 6,048 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 02:29 AM

Teri, I had to wear one for over three weeks. It wasn't fun to say the least.

#14 Lil

Lil

Titanium member

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 03:45 AM

Denise, I hope that it's recording any arrhythmia! I know for sure it will record tachycardia and bradycardia whenever my heartrate hits the preset limit. Not that I know what the preset limit is. :D I also know it will record atrial fibrillation. I guess that's where the AF comes from in its name. (Lifestar AF Express)

I finally hit the record button on purpose last night and was told it was nothing. I'm now really paranoid about when push it. sigh

Lil
If life gives you lemons, throw them back and demand the oranges you ordered!

#15 Teri16

Teri16

Titanium member

• Members
  • 5,172 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 12:04 PM

Lil, I think you are not alone here! Though I haven't worn one, I've sure heard enough from some of the others that they don't always know when to hit the button either. :heart-pip: Did you get a chance to read the links above? I'll see what else I can find.

Denise, I can't imagine more that one day, is a picnic, especially sleeping with the little guy?? :blink:

:wub: Teri :P