Vegan Eggplant Parmesan Recipe
What You'll Need
• 2 large eggplants (sliced 6 mm thick)
• 4 pieces bread (whole grain)
• 1 teaspoon oregano
• 1 teaspoon thyme
• salt to taste
• black to taste
• Optional: store-bought dairy-free soy parmesan
For the Cheese Sauce:
• 1 cup tofu (silken; blended until creamy in a blender or food processor)
• 1 cup vegetable broth
• 1/2 cup soy milk soy milk (plain, or almond milk)
• 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
• 3 tablespoon tahini
• 1 teaspoon onion powder
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
• 2 tablespoons corn starch
For the Tomato Sauce:
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
• 4 cups tomato sauce (or marinara sauce)
How to Make It
1. Preheat the broiler. Lightly salt the eggplant slices and place them in a colander set over a bowl to drain for 15-20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, toast the bread slices in a toaster until well done. Transfer to a medium-sized bowl and crumble into breadcrumbs.
3. Toss with the dried oregano and dried thyme, and lightly sprinkle with salt, pepper and soy parmesan (if using). Set aside.
4. Rinse the eggplant slices with cold water and pat them dry with paper towel. Lightly oil a large baking sheet, place the slices on the sheet and brush lightly
with olive oil.
5. Place under the broiler for about 3 minutes or until brown. Remove from the oven and set aside.
6. Turn down the oven to 175°C. In a blender, blend all of the ingredients for the cheese sauce in a blender until creamy, set aside.
7. In a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat, heat the , olive oil adding the onion once hot. Cook, stirring often until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
8. Add the tomato sauce to the pan and cook until just warm. Set aside.
9. Assemble the casserole. Lightly oil a 23 cm x 33 cm baking dish with olive oil.
10. Place half of the eggplant slices In the bottom of the dish. Top with 1/3 of the breadcrumbs, followed by half of the tomato sauce and half of the cheese sauce.
Sprinkle with soy parmesan.
11. Top with the eggplant, followed by another 1/3 of the breadcrumbs and the remaining half of the tomato sauce and cheese sauce.
12. Top with the remaining 1/3 of the breadcrumbs and a generous sprinkling of soy parmesan, if using.
13. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned on top. Serve hot.
Total Time 55 mins
· Prep: 30 mins,
· Cook: 25 mins
· Yield: Serves 6