Vegan Red Curry Lentil Soup with Kale Recipe
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 large carrots, peeled, trimmed, and chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 14-ounce can low-sodium diced tomatoes
- 1 cup lentils, any colour or mixture
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup reduced fat coconut milk
- Heat olive oil in a large pot on medium-high heat. When hot, add onion, garlic, and carrots. Sauté until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in red curry paste and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Pour in diced tomatoes, lentils, broth, salt, and black pepper. Bring to a boil, then add kale. Cover soup, reduce heat to medium, and simmer 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender.
- Remove lid and stir in coconut milk. Heat through for 2 to 3 minutes then serve hot.