Vegan Blueberry Cake with a Tart Lemon Glaze
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground flax
- 1 tablespoon corn-starch
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 – 3 teaspoons lemon zest**
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 150 grams package of Silk Vanilla Dairy-free Yoghurt Alternative
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup blueberries* fresh or frozen
- 5 – 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 – 2 cups powdered sugar
- Heat your oven to 175 °C. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper on the bottom and spray over paper and sides of pan with vegetable spray.
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, ground flax, and corn-starch. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine the sugar and lemon zest. Stir to combine, so that the sugar is coated with the lemon zest.
- Add the vegetable oil, yoghurt alternative, and apple cider vinegar to the sugar mixture. Stir to combine.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of flour mixture over blueberries (if using frozen berries. If using fresh, skip this step).
- Add sugar mixture to dry mixture. Stir until combined.
- Very gently fold in blueberries to spread them around the batter.
- Pour into your prepared pan. Place in the oven on the middle rack and bake for 50 minutes.
- While the cake is baking prepare the Lemon Sauce by combining 1/2 cup powdered sugar with the lemon juice. Stir to combine.
- When the cake is done, remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes or so. Then pour all but 2 tablespoons of the Lemon Sauce over the hot cake. Set aside.
- Create the Glaze by adding remaining powdered sugar to the 2 tablespoons of Lemon Sauce. Stir until you achieve a nice consistency.
- When you’re ready to serve the cake, pour the glaze over the cake and serve.