Catheter Ablation May Lower other Health Conditions

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 noxcuse

noxcuse

Board Co-Founder

• Admin
  • 2,331 posts
  • Interests:Medical, helping others, fishing, boating, my family, video gaming.

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:39 AM

A treatment procedure used for heart rhythm complications may lower the risk of suffering from strokes, death and dementia disorders, according to a study presented at the 31st Annual Scientific Sessions of the national Heart Rhythm Society.

A team of researchers from the Heart Institute at the Intermountain Medical Center in Murray, Utah conducted two studies in which patients who suffered from atrial fibrillation (A-fib) were treated with catheter ablation. The researchers then compared the risks of developing Alzheimerís disease and other memory loss disorders or having a stroke in these patients to those of A-fib patients who had not received the ablation treatment.

The results showed that those who had the procedure had a much lower risk of all these other health issues than the patients who hadnít been treated for A-fib.

A cardiac condition in which the upper chambers of the heart quiver instead beating at a healthy rate, A-fib causes blood to be improperly pumped in and out of the heart. This can cause the development of blood clots, which can clog the artery that leads to the brain and result in suffering from a stroke.

Patients who have developed atrial fibrillation have an 15 to 20 increased risk of having a stroke, according to the Heart Rhythm Society.

"Bad things triumphant, when good people do nothing at all"

"Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it." -Buddha
"So often times it happens, that we live ours life's in chains, and we never even knew we held the key" The Eagles
"There is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it" Alfred Hitchcock

"We have enough religion to make us hate one another, but not enough to make us love each other" Jonathan Swift

"My heart is ruled by Venus, my head by Mars" Phil Lynott