Cholesterol Testing

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 noxcuse

noxcuse

Board Co-Founder

• Admin
  • 2,331 posts
  • Interests:Medical, helping others, fishing, boating, my family, video gaming.

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:44 AM

Here at Heartboard we are attempting to keep you up to date on advances in testing for cardiac patients. Almost everyone is familiar with your cholesterol test or screenings, but it is important that we inform you to make sure that you ask your Doctor (or inquire) if can or have had a VAP workup.
Scientists have developed a more advanced blood test that can far more accurately gauge your risk of heart disease. The Vertical Auto Profile (VAP) test augments the standard cholesterol profile with additional measurements that can identify the risk of cardiovascular disease. Your
conventional cholesterol testing identify only 40% of those at risk for coronary heart disease.
Best of all, the VAP test not only offers a comprehensive assessment of cardiovascular risk, but also supplies vital information that can help you and your doctor formulate a customized disease-prevention program and measure its progress over time. This powerful diagnostic tool can help you take the steps necessary to avoid preventable health catastrophes—like heart attack and stroke—today.

Awareness of the VAP test is important for anyone who wants to stop cardiovascular disease in its tracks, even before signs and symptoms manifest. The VAP test is performed just like a traditional cholesterol panel: a technician or nurse draws blood and submits it to a laboratory. At reasonable cost, the VAP test provides more information than routine cholesterol tests and expands on this data. The comprehensive information derived from the VAP test enables physicians to more accurately predict their patients’ risk of heart disease, and to customize more aggressive, patient-specific treatment plans.

Even if your doctor’s office does not yet regularly utilize the VAP test, it is very likely that your physician will recognize the value of this advanced cholesterol screening tool, and will use the more detailed information it provides to devise the best treatment program to reduce your cardiovascular risk.
Routine cholesterol tests provide only the four following measurements:

Total cholesterol
Triglycerides
Low-density lipoprotein (LDL, the “detrimental’ lipid), determined by a mathematical calculation, not by direct measurement
High-density lipoprotein (HDL, the “beneficial” lipid).
This standard lipid panel above is what physicians have relied on for years to assess their patients’ risk of cardiovascular disease.

The expanded information from the VAP test includes:

More accurate, direct measurement of LDL.
Measurement of LDL pattern density. This is important because small, dense LDL (“Pattern B”) triples the likelihood of developing coronary plaque and suffering a heart attack.4
Measurement of lipoprotein subclasses, which include HDL2 and HDL3, intermediate-density lipoprotein (IDL), very-low-density lipoproteins (VLDL1, VLDL2, VLDL3), and lipoprotein(a) [Lp(a)], a particularly dangerous lipoprotein that can lead to heart attacks and strokes.

Below is a guide to the various components of the VAP test and their implications for the development of cardiovascular disease:

LDL: Low-density lipoprotein; elevated levels are considered a primary cause of heart disease. LDL is the primary cholesterol target in heart disease risk management.

HDL: High-density lipoprotein; considered protective to the cardiovascular system. Low levels are associated with increased risk for coronary heart disease.

VLDL: Very-low-density lipoprotein; the main carrier for triglycerides. Elevated levels can be an independent risk factor for heart disease.

Total Cholesterol: The total amount of cholesterol circulating throughout your body.

Triglycerides: Energy-rich molecules needed for normal functions throughout the body. Elevated levels are associated with diabetes and cardiovascular disease.

Non-HDL Cholesterol: The sum of LDL and VLDL; elevated levels are a better predictor of heart disease risk than LDL alone.

Lp(a): Lipoprotein(a); an inherited risk factor for heart disease. It is more dangerous than other types of cholesterol, and does not respond to traditional LDL-lowering drugs.

IDL: Intermediate-density lipoprotein; an inherited, independent risk factor for heart disease. It is often elevated in patients with a family history of diabetes.

Real LDL: The “real” cholesterol circulating in your body, it is a component of LDL. Real LDL is calculated by subtracting Lp(a) and IDL from LDL.

LDL Size Pattern: LDL particles vary in size, ranging from small, dense “Pattern B” particles to large, buoyant “Pattern A” particles. Smaller LDL particles are associated with an increased risk for heart disease. Small, dense LDL (“Pattern B”) is associated with insulin resistance or diabetes.

Metabolic Syndrome: A condition characterized by a combination of several metabolic risk factors—including elevated triglycerides, low HDL, and small, dense “Pattern B” LDL particles—that increase the overall risk for heart disease.

HDL2\ HDL3: HDL subfractions are used to predict cardiovascular risk. HDL2 is large and buoyant, and is the most protective form of HDL. Low HDL2 with normal LDL is associated with cardiovascular risk. HDL3 is not as protective as HDL 2.

VLDL3: VLDL3 is the densest VLDL sub-fraction, and confers a greater risk factor for heart disease than both VLDL1 and VLDL2.

We tried to keep this as simple as possible and I hope this was not information overload but it is important that you ask if you have had this blood test done as it is crucial in helping to arrest the progression of what remains America’s leading cause of premature death.

"Bad things triumphant, when good people do nothing at all"

"Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it." -Buddha
"So often times it happens, that we live ours life's in chains, and we never even knew we held the key" The Eagles
"There is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it" Alfred Hitchcock

"We have enough religion to make us hate one another, but not enough to make us love each other" Jonathan Swift

"My heart is ruled by Venus, my head by Mars" Phil Lynott

#2 Patoolla

Patoolla

Titanium member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  • Interests:Country music and dance, Grandbabes, My dog, Peppy, a Bichon Frise, the internet.

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:58 PM

Thank you for this good information Jerry! :)

#3 Denisefh

Denisefh

Family Members and Caregivers Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 6,048 posts
  • Interests:Birding, my family especially my two grandsons, RPG video games, reading.

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:44 AM

This is interesting, I'll have to check with my doctor.
Denise
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift....that's why they call it "the present".
(Quote from the movie "Kung Fu Panda")

#4 kalip

kalip

Food Ideas and Healthy Recipes Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 2,548 posts
  • Interests:Jogging, Reading, Surfing the Internet , Meditation and travelling.

Posted 04 July 2009 - 04:59 AM

Useful information Jerry
I shall consult my Cardiologist when I next visit
in a few weeks time

kalip

#5 kalip

kalip

Food Ideas and Healthy Recipes Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 2,548 posts
  • Interests:Jogging, Reading, Surfing the Internet , Meditation and travelling.

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:39 AM

This posts is riddled with advertisements

kalip

#6 noxcuse

noxcuse

Board Co-Founder

• Admin
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:36 PM

I took care of Kalip, thank you :common076[1]:

"Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it." -Buddha
"So often times it happens, that we live ours life's in chains, and we never even knew we held the key" The Eagles
"There is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it" Alfred Hitchcock

"We have enough religion to make us hate one another, but not enough to make us love each other" Jonathan Swift

#7 ireneo

ireneo

Titanium member

• Members
  • 841 posts
  • Interests:Books, working with wildlife, fishing, chocolate!

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:45 AM

Sorry to go off topic here but saw the post about your Dad and his recovery. But it's locked so I couldn't add my joy at hearing that things are going so well. Always love good news.
Life has no meaning except for the impact you have on other people

#8 noxcuse

noxcuse

Board Co-Founder

• Admin
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:00 PM

Sorry Ireno I will unlock and thank you much :common076[1]:

#9 Diamond Fernandes

Diamond Fernandes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:27 PM

Hi Thank's for the information. feel free to get the more information on Cholesterol Testing and cardiac rehab program

External link's approved per Noxcuse