A place to talk about our bloodwork

• Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

#31 Teri16

Teri16

Titanium member

• Members
  • 5,172 posts
  • Interests:I'm into my family A LOT :), as you will notice that I mention, or refer to them frequently. :-) I'm a fairly great cook when given wide berth and love to try any and all recipes!Gardening is my main outdoor activity and I have plenty of flowers everywhere, except we do have 2 dogs, Shellie, the Puppy and Sam the Golden Retriever-& they both like to garden as well. : ) Petey & Pookie, my cockatiels are nesting on their first batch of 4 eggs and I'm not sure any will hatch this time, but they are giving it their true best! So along with Swimming, Reading ,Crosswords, crocheting, etc...Hugs, Teri

Posted 03 June 2004 - 08:34 PM

:heart: Yes, Kalip that LDL is what is helped by using the statins...

Did you hear re your cath yet? I'm still waiting to hear???

:wub: and Hugs, Teri :P

"Because he is he and I am I"...E.V.Lucas

"I'm so excited and I just can't hide it"... The Pointer Sisters

"You Light up my Life"...Debbie Boone

#32 kalip

kalip

Food Ideas and Healthy Recipes Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 2,486 posts
  • Interests:Jogging, Reading, Surfing the Internet , Meditation and travelling.

Posted 04 June 2004 - 05:30 AM

Yes Teri the lab called yesterday

The results are finally ready however I was extremely busy at work,

today again I would be extremely busy working on a project.

and on Monday I have another whole day meeting.

I would ask the Corporationís Messenger Service pick it up for me today.

Also I asked the Lab to fax a copy to me

I would let you know the results as soon as I get it.

kalip

#33 Teri16

Teri16

Titanium member

• Members
  • 5,172 posts
  • Interests:I'm into my family A LOT :), as you will notice that I mention, or refer to them frequently. :-) I'm a fairly great cook when given wide berth and love to try any and all recipes!Gardening is my main outdoor activity and I have plenty of flowers everywhere, except we do have 2 dogs, Shellie, the Puppy and Sam the Golden Retriever-& they both like to garden as well. : ) Petey & Pookie, my cockatiels are nesting on their first batch of 4 eggs and I'm not sure any will hatch this time, but they are giving it their true best! So along with Swimming, Reading ,Crosswords, crocheting, etc...Hugs, Teri

Posted 04 June 2004 - 08:29 AM

Source: webmd.com Thanks! :heart:

"Several factors can cause high cholesterol. Some risk factors can be controlled; others can't.

Contollable risk factors include some medical conditions, such as diabetes and hypothyroidism, and diet. Being overweight, smoking not exercising and eating a diet high in saturated fat and cholesterol can cause high LDL, low HDL, and increased tiglycerides.

Uncontrollable risk factors include a genetic condition called a lipid disorder, which can cause very high cholesterol levels in your blood. Your age and gender are other risk factors you cannot control. After age 20, cholesterol levels natually begin to rise. Men have higher cholesterol levels than women until women reach age 50 or so, when their cholesterol levels rise. After puberty, women have higher levels of HDL ("good") cholesterol than men.

There are also secondary causes of high cholesterol, such as medications and medical conditions."

When I read this, I thought this would be a good place to put this at...hope it sheds some light?

Hugs & :wub: Teri :heart:

#34 ttmag

ttmag

Titanium member

• Members
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 11:58 PM

Kalip,
Sounds like that job is stressful!! Watch that stress!!! tt
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart,and lean not unto your own understanding. In all your ways,acknowledge Him,and He will direct your path." Proverbs 3:5-6

#35 Kali14

Kali14

Titanium member

• Members
  • 675 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, gardening, good mystery movies, reading

Posted 05 June 2004 - 04:58 AM

I know a lot of it in my family is genetics. When one of my daughters was only 18 her cholesterol was 264. The doctor said that he had never seen anyone that young with it so high. I don't think back then that they broke it down into good and bad. I really need to get on her to have it checked especially with my history now.
Kalip, I certainly don't think this can be attributed to your good eating habits but, I would definitely question the doctor when you do see him. Keep us posted.

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Kali</span>

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly...</span>

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Everyone has a photographic memory.
Some, like me, just don't have any film.
</span>

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
</span>

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Remember, once you get over the hill, you will begin to pick up speed</span>

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>I know that God won't give me more than I can handle but there are times I wish he didn't trust me quite so much.</span>[/B]

#36 cje1234

cje1234

Platinum member

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 09:21 AM

Just had bloods done by this really neat little machine in the GP's surgery by the practice nurse. All she had to do was prick my finger, put a couple of drops of blood on a slide and wait 5 minutes! Whether the results were worth it however, I doubt as despite being on lipitor they read as follows:

Total - 247

HDL - 72

LDL - 139!!

VLDL - 36

Trigs - 78

TC/HDL ratio 3.4

Cardiologist has doubled my Lipitor so maybe LDL will slowly subside.

#37 Teri16

Teri16

Titanium member

• Members
  • 5,172 posts
  • Interests:I'm into my family A LOT :), as you will notice that I mention, or refer to them frequently. :-) I'm a fairly great cook when given wide berth and love to try any and all recipes!Gardening is my main outdoor activity and I have plenty of flowers everywhere, except we do have 2 dogs, Shellie, the Puppy and Sam the Golden Retriever-&amp; they both like to garden as well. : ) Petey &amp; Pookie, my cockatiels are nesting on their first batch of 4 eggs and I'm not sure any will hatch this time, but they are giving it their true best! So along with Swimming, Reading ,Crosswords, crocheting, etc...Hugs, Teri

Posted 17 June 2004 - 09:31 AM

:heart: Gee, Whiz if that test was correct, then I am glad they doubled up your Lipitor!!...Hugs, Teri :P

#38 anharris

anharris

Silver member

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 08:09 PM

hi everyone, this is angie:) jerry's daughter.
Cholesterol: 135
HDL: 48
LDL: 79
Triglycerides:41

have a good day
Close your eyes and think of me And soon I will be there To brighten up even your darkest nights.
You just call out my name, And you know whereever I am Iíll come running

Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers
Remember when you're talkin' to the man upstairs
That just because he doesn't answer doesn't mean he don't care
Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers

I am defeated and I know it, if I meet any human being from whom i find myself unable to learn anything

#39 Catherine

Catherine

Alternative Healing

• +Verified HB Expert
  • 1,022 posts
  • Interests:Family, animals, reading, and doing alternative medicine in the field of Quantum Biofeedback!

Posted 08 July 2004 - 08:24 PM

WOW Angie - that is awasome! Good for you! I should get mine done and see what they are. Dad will be going I think this coming Tues. to get them checked again.

Catherine ***
"Sure is a pretty day to set things right". (Robert Duvall, Open Range)

We are not meant to leave this life quiet and well preserved, but sliding in sideways shouting with glee, "Holy s--t, what a ride!"

#40 ttmag

ttmag

Titanium member

• Members
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 10:00 PM

;) Sounds like good numbers Angie!! tt
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart,and lean not unto your own understanding. In all your ways,acknowledge Him,and He will direct your path." Proverbs 3:5-6

#41 jan-BC

jan-BC

Titanium member

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 10:21 PM

Just think...we were all there once LOL....and hopefully will be again! Thank you Lipitor in advance LOL! WTG, Angie!
Jan

#42 Patoolla

Patoolla

Titanium member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  • Interests:Country music and dance, Grandbabes, My dog, Peppy, a Bichon Frise, the internet.

Posted 08 July 2004 - 10:54 PM

Great results Angie!!!! :rolleyes:

#43 noxcuse

noxcuse

Board Co-Founder

• Admin
  • 2,331 posts
  • Interests:Medical, helping others, fishing, boating, my family, video gaming.

Posted 09 July 2004 - 06:47 AM

Way to go Angie!!! Love D
"Bad things triumphant, when good people do nothing at all"

"Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it." -Buddha
"So often times it happens, that we live ours life's in chains, and we never even knew we held the key" The Eagles
"There is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it" Alfred Hitchcock

"We have enough religion to make us hate one another, but not enough to make us love each other" Jonathan Swift

"My heart is ruled by Venus, my head by Mars" Phil Lynott

#44 stardreamer

stardreamer

Titanium member

• Members
  • 794 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 05:54 PM

NEW numbers for me--as of 7-14-04:

HDL 47

LDL 72

TRIG 144

Cholesteral 148

Better than last time and my trig have dropped from 199!

What is VLDL???

#45 Teri16

Teri16

Titanium member

• Members
  • 5,172 posts
  • Interests:I'm into my family A LOT :), as you will notice that I mention, or refer to them frequently. :-) I'm a fairly great cook when given wide berth and love to try any and all recipes!Gardening is my main outdoor activity and I have plenty of flowers everywhere, except we do have 2 dogs, Shellie, the Puppy and Sam the Golden Retriever-&amp; they both like to garden as well. : ) Petey &amp; Pookie, my cockatiels are nesting on their first batch of 4 eggs and I'm not sure any will hatch this time, but they are giving it their true best! So along with Swimming, Reading ,Crosswords, crocheting, etc...Hugs, Teri

Posted 23 July 2004 - 07:19 PM

Hi Stardreamer!! Seems we're seeing more of each other tonight than ever before, and I for one am happy to see ya here!! :P So you just keep keeping us on our toes here!! Thumbs up

VLDL=Very Low Density Lipoproteins

(Check out the food topic section here and you'll find that I just finished a lengthy, though not complete? Cholesterol topic there. :P )

Basically, VLDL carry only about 15 % of blood cholesterol, but are the substances the liver needs and uses to produce LDL. The more of them, the more LDL the liver sends out and the greater your chances are of Heart Disease.

Hope this helps a bit?! :wub: Teri :P