Guest_andreaf_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2004 - 09:25 PM

Just had a lipid profile done like 2 weeks ago:

Total 146
Trigs 130
HDL 37
LDL 83

I was fairly happy with these numbers, of course I would like to get the HDL higher, at least over 40. I have been adding more monounsaturated fats to my diet to that end (Just call me Olive Oyl :P)

I was not given any more specific numbers than that, should I have asked for more specifics? You guys are quoting stuff I have never heard of before.

Oh, and a little over a month ago, I started folic acid and Bvitamin supplements, which hopefully will bring down the homocysteine levels, and I'm hoping the next set of tests will include that #.

What else should I be asking for when I am getting results from the docs?

andrea

#17 stardreamer

stardreamer

Titanium member

• Members
  • 794 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 08:03 PM

HERE ARE MINE A LITTLE OLD FROM 10/03:

TOTAL CHOLESTERAL 165

TRIGLYCERIDES 199
HDL 44

LDL 81

AT LEAST MY CHOLESTERAL IS BETTER DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO ABOUT THE TRIGLYCERIDES--THEY WENT HIGH AFTER I WENT ON A LOW FAT LOW CHOLESTERAL DIET-- TOO MANY CARBS! :heart:

#18 jan-BC

jan-BC

Titanium member

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 09:23 PM

New blood work (for me, from one month post-Lipitor and just prior to my angiogram in mid-Feb):

triglycerides - 69
cholesterol (total) - 170
VLDL Chol. - 32
LDL Chol. - 80
HDL Chol. - 58
Chol:HDL ratio - 2.9
LDL:HDL ratio - 1.4

Not bad, eh? Quite a change from the fall...(see below a few entries). I guess Lipitor works, huh?

jan

#19 Denisefh

Denisefh

Family Members and Caregivers Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 6,048 posts
  • Interests:Birding, my family especially my two grandsons, RPG video games, reading.

Posted 06 May 2004 - 10:11 PM

Congratulations Jan!!!! :D
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift....that's why they call it "the present".
(Quote from the movie "Kung Fu Panda")

#20 gschmitt

gschmitt

Heart and Cardiovascular Disease Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 2,393 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, gardening, woodworking, Genealogy. Ballroom dancing. Putting on my lederhosen and going to area German festivals.

Posted 06 May 2004 - 10:53 PM

Andrea,

The amount of numbers you will get from your dr will depend on the number of tests that are ran. I have blood drawn every 8 weeks but not always the same tests are ran but always the LDL.

A nurse from the office always calls me to tell me what my bloodwork results were and I always ask her to mail me a copy. That way I'll get the entire results and can compare that with previous ones. That's a good way to keep on top of the numbers.

Gilbert
Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we're
here we should dance.

In heaven there is no beer
That's why we're drinking it here
And when we're gone from here
All our friends will be drinking all our beer.

Let the Gemutlichkeit roll on. Ein Prosit.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

Aerobics are for those who don't polka.

#21 Teri16

Teri16

Titanium member

• Members
  • 5,172 posts
  • Interests:I'm into my family A LOT :), as you will notice that I mention, or refer to them frequently. :-) I'm a fairly great cook when given wide berth and love to try any and all recipes!Gardening is my main outdoor activity and I have plenty of flowers everywhere, except we do have 2 dogs, Shellie, the Puppy and Sam the Golden Retriever-& they both like to garden as well. : ) Petey & Pookie, my cockatiels are nesting on their first batch of 4 eggs and I'm not sure any will hatch this time, but they are giving it their true best! So along with Swimming, Reading ,Crosswords, crocheting, etc...Hugs, Teri

Posted 06 May 2004 - 10:59 PM

:P Ohhhh, I like that idea, Gilbert and I'm going to start the very next time I have my blood drawn-Thanks! Hugs, Teri : )
"Because he is he and I am I"...E.V.Lucas

"I'm so excited and I just can't hide it"... The Pointer Sisters

"You Light up my Life"...Debbie Boone

#22 Kali14

Kali14

Titanium member

• Members
  • 675 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, gardening, good mystery movies, reading

Posted 13 May 2004 - 10:53 AM

Jerry, Just wondering how you made out on your latest blood work. Didn't you have it done this week? (or am I dreaming again?)
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Kali</span>

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly...</span>

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Everyone has a photographic memory.
Some, like me, just don't have any film.
</span>

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
</span>

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Remember, once you get over the hill, you will begin to pick up speed</span>

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>I know that God won't give me more than I can handle but there are times I wish he didn't trust me quite so much.</span>[/B]

#23 kalip

kalip

Food Ideas and Healthy Recipes Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 2,559 posts
  • Interests:Jogging, Reading, Surfing the Internet , Meditation and travelling.

Posted 02 June 2004 - 08:41 PM

My last blood work read as follows

Total cholesterol 199

Triglycerides 151

HDL 44

LDL 125

Ratio 4.5

And I am using Zocor too !!!!

#24 Teri16

Teri16

Titanium member

• Members
  • 5,172 posts
  • Interests:I'm into my family A LOT :), as you will notice that I mention, or refer to them frequently. :-) I'm a fairly great cook when given wide berth and love to try any and all recipes!Gardening is my main outdoor activity and I have plenty of flowers everywhere, except we do have 2 dogs, Shellie, the Puppy and Sam the Golden Retriever-&amp; they both like to garden as well. : ) Petey &amp; Pookie, my cockatiels are nesting on their first batch of 4 eggs and I'm not sure any will hatch this time, but they are giving it their true best! So along with Swimming, Reading ,Crosswords, crocheting, etc...Hugs, Teri

Posted 02 June 2004 - 08:48 PM

Well, Kalip those numbers aren't exactly what you'd like to see, huh? What dose of Zocor are you on? I know you are true vegan...hmmmm, do consume any alcoholic beverages? I'm just trying to get a fix on the triglecerides & the LDL?! A lot of the #'s are probably due to heridity, too...Let's see if someone else can come up with a few things on this...Hugs always, Teri :heart:

#25 kalip

kalip

• Super Moderator
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 11:33 AM

I use 20 mg of zocor I use absolutely no alcoholic beverages
I use no oily or fried stuff and am a strict vegan!!!!

This is just inexplicable canít understand why it is so high !!

#26 Teri16

Teri16

Titanium member

• Members
  • 5,172 posts
  • Interests:I'm into my family A LOT :), as you will notice that I mention, or refer to them frequently. :-) I'm a fairly great cook when given wide berth and love to try any and all recipes!Gardening is my main outdoor activity and I have plenty of flowers everywhere, except we do have 2 dogs, Shellie, the Puppy and Sam the Golden Retriever-&amp; they both like to garden as well. : ) Petey &amp; Pookie, my cockatiels are nesting on their first batch of 4 eggs and I'm not sure any will hatch this time, but they are giving it their true best! So along with Swimming, Reading ,Crosswords, crocheting, etc...Hugs, Teri

Posted 03 June 2004 - 12:53 PM

:heart: Okay, Kalip....you probably have some genetic stuff going on, I do and many others here do too, so don't get too excited yet! Ask your Dr. about the possibility of increasing your dose of Zocor to the 40 mg., or another Statin, or even Niacin...OR asking them why they feel you're levels are like they are!! Perhaps it has someithing to do with some dietary something or other that you aren't getting in your particular diet...you just never know! Let me know when you hear back regarding this! I'd appreciate any feedback re this!! You take care, Kalip, and be well!

Hugs always, Teri :P

#27 jan-BC

jan-BC

Titanium member

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 01:46 PM

As Teri said, Kalip, it's not time to panic yet as the statin dose you are on is not very high. Remember that statins are considered very safe and there is lots of room for improvement in those numbers tho' they could be worse (and remember that they likely were before the statin!). So talk to the docs and see what else should be considered. Good luck, Kalip. Otherwise, how are you doing?

jan

#28 gschmitt

gschmitt

Heart and Cardiovascular Disease Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 2,393 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, gardening, woodworking, Genealogy. Ballroom dancing. Putting on my lederhosen and going to area German festivals.

Posted 03 June 2004 - 05:44 PM

Kalip,

Although I'm not a strict vegan I don't eat a lot of meat and then it's fish about 3 or 4 times a week. Other meats are eaten about once a month and beef just a couple times a year. Before I started getting good reading on my blood work I was on 40 mg of Zocor and then it was raised to 60 about 4 months ago. My cardiologist also has me on lopid and those with the diet are keeping my LDL in the good range at about 70 but am still having trouble getting a good reading for the HDL.

Diet and excercise usually don't do enough and the statins will have to be used and increased until good results happen.

Gilbert
Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we're
here we should dance.

In heaven there is no beer
That's why we're drinking it here
And when we're gone from here
All our friends will be drinking all our beer.

Let the Gemutlichkeit roll on. Ein Prosit.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

Aerobics are for those who don't polka.

#29 kalip

kalip

• Super Moderator
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 06:01 PM

Last May (2003) I experimented with Natures plus gugulipid 750 mg. capsules.

After two months of the herb my blood results read like this:

Total Cholesterol 187

Triglycerides 129

HDL 58

LDL 103

Ratio 3.2

But apparently it was reacting with the beta blocker (Coreg)

I was forced to Stop and continue with the zocor

#30 kalip

kalip

• Super Moderator
  • 2,559 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 06:02 PM

Last May (2003) I experimented with Natures plus gugulipid 750 mg. capsules.

After two months of the herb my blood results read like this:

Total Cholesterol 187

Triglycerides 129

HDL 58

LDL 103

Ratio 3.2

But apparently it was reacting with the beta blocker (Coreg)

I was forced to Stop and continue with the zocor

kalip