A place to talk about our bloodwork

• Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

#1 noxcuse

noxcuse

Board Co-Founder

• Admin
  • 2,331 posts
  • Interests:Medical, helping others, fishing, boating, my family, video gaming.

Posted 22 April 2004 - 10:31 AM

I thought I would be the 1st to start a thread on bloodwork because I know alot of us have it done and a place to put and keep track of. Just got back from mine so here we go, please hold you applauds until the end, not that great but better,

Total Cholesterol 157
HDL 32
LDL 81
VLDL 44

Triglycerides 221
Ratio 4.9
Thats it sports fan not great but I am not going to complain, I feel great so I shall keep trying. Jerry

"Bad things triumphant, when good people do nothing at all"

"Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it." -Buddha
"So often times it happens, that we live ours life's in chains, and we never even knew we held the key" The Eagles
"There is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it" Alfred Hitchcock

"We have enough religion to make us hate one another, but not enough to make us love each other" Jonathan Swift

"My heart is ruled by Venus, my head by Mars" Phil Lynott

#2 heartangel

heartangel

General Discussion Moderator

• Members
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 10:38 AM

me total Choles 200
LDL135
HDL51
Tri's 64
CRP 0.2
Will see Dr for more blood work tomorrow .
Heidi
1.Take care of yourself
2.Take care of others
3. Take care of yourself
Mr.Craig Fulgate Head of EOC in FL. :)

#3 claudiaw

claudiaw

Titanium member

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 02:28 PM

My last bloodwork was a few weeks ago and I don't remember all the numbers anymore, but total cholesterol was 147. The doctor was please with them all in any case.

#4 Denisefh

Denisefh

Family Members and Caregivers Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 6,048 posts
  • Interests:Birding, my family especially my two grandsons, RPG video games, reading.

Posted 22 April 2004 - 02:59 PM

My blood work was in January:
Total: 243
LDL: 168
HDL: 51
Tri: 122

Chol/HDL ratio 4.8 (I don't know what that means, but I've read recently that high HDL does NOT make up for high LDL the way they thought it did)
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift....that's why they call it "the present".
(Quote from the movie "Kung Fu Panda")

#5 gschmitt

gschmitt

Heart and Cardiovascular Disease Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 2,393 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, gardening, woodworking, Genealogy. Ballroom dancing. Putting on my lederhosen and going to area German festivals.

Posted 22 April 2004 - 03:26 PM

I have a blood work due in a couple of weeks. I get mine done every 8 weeks by my PCP. I don't have all the numbers from the last one but...

LDL - 73

Gilbert
Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we're
here we should dance.

In heaven there is no beer
That's why we're drinking it here
And when we're gone from here
All our friends will be drinking all our beer.

Let the Gemutlichkeit roll on. Ein Prosit.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

Aerobics are for those who don't polka.

#6 noxcuse

noxcuse

Board Co-Founder

• Admin
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 03:32 PM

Ratio is your risk factor of having a heart attack

Average Risk 4.4 to 5.0
2 Times Risk 7.1 to 9.6
3 Times Risk 11.0 to 23.4

"Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it." -Buddha
"So often times it happens, that we live ours life's in chains, and we never even knew we held the key" The Eagles
"There is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it" Alfred Hitchcock

"We have enough religion to make us hate one another, but not enough to make us love each other" Jonathan Swift

#7 jan-BC

jan-BC

Titanium member

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 03:40 PM

Sorry, guys, can't participate in this thread as our numbers are all different in Canada...Wish I could find a formula that converts to the US system as so much info re cholesterol relates to those units that you are all talking about.
Jan

#8 cje1234

cje1234

Platinum member

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 05:02 PM

Jan

If the Canada numbers are like the UK numbers then if you divide them by 0.0259 they come out like US numbers, for example my last total was 5.7 or 220. Hope that helps. Charlotte

#9 ttmag

ttmag

Titanium member

• Members
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 05:31 PM

:o :o Well,I should have my figures in about 4 weeks. Going back in May. :D tt
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart,and lean not unto your own understanding. In all your ways,acknowledge Him,and He will direct your path." Proverbs 3:5-6

#10 noxcuse

noxcuse

Board Co-Founder

• Admin
  • 2,331 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 05:40 PM

Thanks cje, that was good work, Jerry

#11 NineLives

NineLives

Titanium member

• Members
  • 697 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 06:13 PM

As of January 04

Total cholesterol 113
HDL 40
LDL 61
Trigs 62

Risk Ratio 2.83

Planning to go back again May 8 to a health fair if I'm in town at that time. Started taking Niacin last night so hoping to see a jump in HDL but promise not to get all down if it doesn't. :D

#12 jan-BC

jan-BC

Titanium member

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 06:15 PM

Thank you so much, Charlotte! What a helpful site! Now, why couldn't my GP have known that when I asked her back in the fall? The first (and only) time I had high counts was in early October (while I was still smoking and not diagnosed with or treated for cardiac disease or GERD so wasn't eating healthy or exercising at all). At that time they were:

Triglycerides - 96
Total cholesterol - 231
HDL - 43
LDL - 141
VLDL - 43
Ratio - 5.0

Not great, I guess, looking at them..Now I'm on Lipitor and, with all the other changes, maybe I'll just go and buy one of those kits to check, especially since as far as I know no one has seen fit to check lately (but maybe they did in the hospital).
Jan

#13 Teri16

Teri16

Titanium member

• Members
  • 5,172 posts
  • Interests:I'm into my family A LOT :), as you will notice that I mention, or refer to them frequently. :-) I'm a fairly great cook when given wide berth and love to try any and all recipes!Gardening is my main outdoor activity and I have plenty of flowers everywhere, except we do have 2 dogs, Shellie, the Puppy and Sam the Golden Retriever-& they both like to garden as well. : ) Petey & Pookie, my cockatiels are nesting on their first batch of 4 eggs and I'm not sure any will hatch this time, but they are giving it their true best! So along with Swimming, Reading ,Crosswords, crocheting, etc...Hugs, Teri

Posted 22 April 2004 - 08:13 PM

:heart: Hey ya'll I lost my numbers, so guess I'll have to find them or you'll just have to believe me when I say they were good! :P Hugs, Teri
"Because he is he and I am I"...E.V.Lucas

"I'm so excited and I just can't hide it"... The Pointer Sisters

"You Light up my Life"...Debbie Boone

#14 Shakabreeze

Shakabreeze

Titanium member

• Members
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 09:39 PM

About time for some bloodwork for me and will report in. Jerry tell me more about the ratios... specifics.
Shaka is a Hawaiian offering, a fist in the air with the pinkie and thumb out waving back and forth at the wrist. Symbol of good will, good things, a positive strength and hope for the good in life. Breeze comes from ocean breeze: also positive, empowering, enveloping, enriching, relaxing and, above all, comforting.

#15 Kathlyn1950

Kathlyn1950

Titanium member

• Members
  • 665 posts
  • Interests:Drawing and painting, reading, rubber stamping, scrapbooking, travel, music, dancing, spending time with family and friends

Posted 26 April 2004 - 09:17 PM

I don't have all of my new numbers either. Just prior to my MI in Jan of this year my ldl and total cholesterol were borderline high. My total was 233. My hdl and trigl. were good. When I went back after the new way of eating (WOE) and exercise, without chol. meds, my total was 199 (I think this was in March) and the cardiologist said all of my numbers were good now. But he put me on Lipitor anyway.