Vegan Porcini Pate Recipe
- ½ cup walnuts
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 60 grams dried porcini mushrooms
- 4 sun-dried tomato halves
- 1 onion, diced
- ¼ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 454 grams mushrooms, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place the walnuts and pine nuts in a small bowl and add water to cover. Let soak for at least 8 hours or up to overnight. drain and rinse, then transfer to a food processor.
- Put the dried porcini mushrooms and sun-dried tomato halves in a heatproof bowl and add 1 cup very hot water. Let soak until soft, about 30 minutes.Pluck the porcinis and tomato halves from the water and transfer them to the food processor with the nuts; reserve the soaking liquid.
- Process the nuts, mushrooms, and sun-dried tomatoes until finely chopped but not pureed.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add the onion and dry sauté, stirring often,until it begins to stick to the pan and lightly brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the broth and stir to deglaze the pan.
- Stir in creminis and thyme and cook until the mushrooms release their liquid and the liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes. Add the sherry and stir to deglaze the pan. Remove from the heat.
- Add the onion mixture to the food processor and process until finely chopped. Scrape down the sides of the processor then, with the machine running, add just enough of the reserved mushroom-tomato soaking liquid to break the mixture down into a thick paste, 1/4 to 1/2 cup total.
- Pulse in the parsley, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper just until incorporated. Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to serve, at least thirty minutes and up to 3 days.
- Serve garnished with a little parsley.