VEGAN PEANUT BUTTER AND SWEET POTATO SATAY CURRY
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger root
- 3 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 700 grams sweet potatoes
- 1 large red pepper
- 400 grams canned chopped tomatoes
- 500 millilitres vegetable stock
- 4 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 400 millilitres coconut milk
- 2 generous handfuls spinach leaves
- 400 grams can chickpeas
- lime juice to taste
- crushed chillies or 1 red chilli finely chopped
- fresh coriander
- chopped peanuts
1. Peel and cut sweet potatoes in 1-centimetre dice Deseed and cut red pepper in 1-centimetre slice
2. Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan. Add finely chopped onion and crushed garlic. Fry under medium heat for 2 minutes.
Add ginger, garam masala and tomato paste. Fry for another 2 minutes.
3. Add chopped diced sweet potatoes and sliced pepper to the pan, followed by tomatoes, vegetable stock and peanut butter.
Bring to the boil, then cook covered under medium heat for 15 minutes. By then sweet potatoes should be tender but still have a bite.
4. Add coconut milk, spinach leaves and drained chickpeas. Reheat, stirring the ingredients together until the spinach is wilted.
5. Season to taste with lime juice and chilli.
6. Serve with brown rice, topped with chopped coriander and crushed peanuts on top.