Chocolate Date and Nut Bars
Move over pumpkin pie! So simple yet so divine—antioxidant-rich dark chocolate with healthful nuts and medjool dates make this one healthy and yummy dessert.
- 10 medjool dates, pitted and soaked in lukewarm water for 15 minutes
- 1 cup mixed nuts (pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts)
- 1 1/2 cup melted dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (skip if you use semisweet chocolate rather than dark)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
Drain the water from the dates.
Add the dates, nuts, and cardamom to a food processor and combine to form a sticky date-nut mixture.
Transfer mixture to an 20-x-20cm pan lined with parchment paper.
Press mixture into all four corners and press down until the mixture is flat and even.
Melt the chocolate in a double boiler over medium heat. Once the chocolate melts, stir in the vanilla and maple syrup.
Pour the melted chocolate over date-nuts
mixture and spread evenly to cover the mixture
Freeze for 10 minutes or refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow the chocolate layer to set.
Gently slice into bars. Let bars come to room temperature before serving.
Yield 12–16 bars