Air Pollution and Heart Health

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 noxcuse

noxcuse

Board Co-Founder

• Admin
  • 2,331 posts
  • Interests:Medical, helping others, fishing, boating, my family, video gaming.

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:38 AM

Penn State College of Medicine researchers say that breathing polluted air increases stress on the heartís regulation capacity, up to six hours after inhalation of combustion-related small particles called PM2.5.
This high stress may contribute to cardiovascular diseases, said Duanping Liao, professor of public health sciences.
The bodyís ability to properly regulate heartbeat so the heart can pump the appropriate amounts of blood into the circulation system relies on the stability of the heartís electrical activity, called electrophysiology.
"Air pollution is associated with cardiopulmonary mortality and morbidity, and it is generally accepted that impaired heart electrophysiology is one of the underlying mechanisms," said Fan He, masterís program graduate, Department of Public Health Sciences, Penn State College of Medicine.

"This impairment is exhibited through fluctuations in the heart rate from beat to beat over an established period of time, known as heart rate variability. It is also exhibited through a longer period for the electric activity to return to the baseline, known as ventricular repolarization.

The time course, how long it would take from exposure to cardiac response, has not been systematically investigated," said he. "We conducted this study to investigate the relationship between particle matter and heart electrophysiology impairment, especially the time course."

The teamís study amongst 106 people from central Pennsylvania indicated that heart electrophysiology was affected up to six hours after elevated PM2.5 exposure.

PM2.5 refers to particles up to 2.5 micrometers in size Ė released by diesel engine, coal, oil, gas or wood combustion. PM2.5 levels are regulated by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

"Our findings may contribute to further understanding of the pathophysiology of air pollution-related cardiac events, specifically our results indicating elevated PM2.5 exposure is associated with immediate disturbance of cardiac electrical activities within six hours after exposure," said Liao.

These results are published in the Journal of Exposure Science and Environmental Epidemiology and in Environmental Health Prospective.
"Bad things triumphant, when good people do nothing at all"

"Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it." -Buddha
"So often times it happens, that we live ours life's in chains, and we never even knew we held the key" The Eagles
"There is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it" Alfred Hitchcock

"We have enough religion to make us hate one another, but not enough to make us love each other" Jonathan Swift

"My heart is ruled by Venus, my head by Mars" Phil Lynott

#2 Denisefh

Denisefh

Family Members and Caregivers Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • 6,048 posts
  • Interests:Birding, my family especially my two grandsons, RPG video games, reading.

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:25 PM

Oh boy, this is all I need to hear! Our air quality here can get really bad, even though we're close to the coast. I have air purifiers but usually by the time I realize I need to turn them on, I'm already wheezing and coughing from the pollution.
Denise
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift....that's why they call it "the present".
(Quote from the movie "Kung Fu Panda")